Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

15 Pound Brisket

Options
Texas Smoker
Texas Smoker Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a nice sized group coming over tomorrow. I found a good looking 15 pound brisket. I've not cooked one this size before.

How long should I plan on this thing being in the Egg? I've usually cooked my briskets around 14 hours, but with this being a pretty big cut, I don't want to under/over cook it.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Brisket is a tough lil critter. Hard to judge and there are so many variables. General rule of thumb is anywhere from 1 to 2 hrs per pound, depending on what temp you are cooking at. I would go with 250-275 in the dome (that will give you a lower temperature at the grate level about 225 to 250) Sorry I can't give you an eggsact time.

Your post indicates that you have done brisket before, just maybe a smaller size. Do you remember how you did that one and how long it took?

Unlike most things you cook, don't cook brisket to temperature, you have to cook it to feel. I would get it up to 190 and then insert a probe and if it slides in like butter with no resistance, you are done. If you have resistance, let it go another 5 degrees and check again.

Good luck and don't forget to take pics.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Options
    That's a big one!! Do you have an XL? Rule of the thumb I hear is approx 1.5 hours per pound. That works for me roughly at 225. I would definately shoot for a time 3-4 hours before you plan to eat so if you go long you have some time to work with.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I cook my briskets fast...I start at 300 degrees and work my way to 350..at the internal temp of 165 on the brisket I wrap in HDAF (no juice added) It usually takes another 1-2 hours to get to fork test temp...usually 190-205

I cooked a 12# brisket last Sunday in 4 .5 hours...it was one of my most tender yet....PS..save the au jus from the brisket when it is done and defat it...when slicing the brisket pour some heated au jus on the beef ...awesome stuff... :);)

Oh yeah the burnt ends usually take another 2 hours or so...
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Kim, some day I am gonna have to break down and try a high temp brisket. DO you get a lot of the smokey flavor when you do it that way?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes the briskets, butts & ribs all are cooked fast and get a smokey taste and smoke ring. I learned this process indirectly from a world champion competition BBQ guy...fast is my go to method now. :)B)
  • Texas Smoker
    Options
    Yes, I've done them on the Egg several times. I've usually kept my egg between 225 and 250.

Thanks for the info on the pound/hr. I think I had heard that before. Just forgot, so good reminder.

I'm assuming about 16 hours, but will leave some wiggle room. I'm going to put it on tonight around midnight.
  • Texas Smoker
    Options
    It is a big one. I have the Large, so I'm going to have to squeeze it in.

I'd love to get the XL. Just need the funds.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    drape it over an inverted v-rack or put a beer can or two under the middle...that still may be big though....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i use maybe triple the chunks for a hot/fast one. toss out the rules about a smoke ring and maximum time below 140, they dont apply :laugh:
    DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    That's a gorgeous thang there, fishless. :)