Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on a Pizza Stone

Options
freedonia
freedonia Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this isn't a really dumb question, but I've been cooking pizza on a pizza stone directly on top of the plate setter at around 500 degrees. I've been getting good results with a crunchy crust that I like, but the stone does get very hot. I heat the stone on top of the plate setter for about 20 minutes before I place the dough on the stone.

I understand some of you put spacers between the pizza stone and plate setter. My question is, why not use the plate setter with legs up and place the stone on the cooking grid if the intent is to prevent the stone from getting too hot and risk burning the crust.

Please enlighten me. I'm cooking 3 pizzas tonight and I'm tempted to try this method. Will I regret doing this?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Platesetter legs up, grid, then stone is my go to method. You will have zero regrets. I go about 550* dome, and allow a lengthly pre-heat on the stone.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Have you ever been to a pizza place with a wood or coal oven? When finishing a pie, they sometimes use the paddle to hold the pie up near the roof of the oven to get some instant browning.

I set my grill up with the legs down on the plate setter and then put 3" spacers (copper pipe fittings) between the plate setter and the stone. This lowers the temp of the stone and pushes the pie higher in the dome to get better balance between the browning of the top and the crust.

13-02-11Spacers.jpg

05-02-11Pizza3.jpg

14-11-10Pizza2.jpg

I know that Fred (Smokinguitarplayer from Fred's Music and BBQ) is a big proponent of the plate setter with legs down and using the BGE feet as a spacer.

Things like how wet your dough is and how many toppings you put on also impact the outcome of each cook, so give it a go and find something you like.

For what it's worth, I use dough with 60% hydration that has rested a day in the refrig and shoot for 650-700.
  • freedonia
    Options
    Thanks, with this method I'll probably pre-heat the stone longer. I know there's almost always more than one way to do a cook. It'll be interesting to see how this compares.
  • freedonia
    Options
    That looks delicious! And just the right amount of browning on both sides.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I have cooked pizza with the stone on the grid before it works just fine. I will also bake bread like this because I can put a pie tin under the baking stone. The pie tin allows me to add a little water just as I put the bread on to create a steam oven effect that some recipes ask for.