Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grid on Spider

Woody
Woody Posts: 125
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a cast iron grid for my spider. Don't get the opportunity to use it as much as I want and it seems to rust. I assume the high temps will burn off any conditioning I do.
What can I do to clean it and keep it from rusting? :S
Woody in Northville, MI
Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q

Comments

• Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Great question! I've been wanting to ask that as well. I keep rubbing canola oil on mine after cooks but it always burns off and then is susceptible to rusting as well. I'm curious to see what suggestions come along.

Jeremy
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

As with any CI use some cooking oil and get that thing seasoned. It is a bit harder with grids than it is with ovens & skillets.

If it is rusty, get your lump to the height of the spider and have a good all around light. Put the CI grid upside down on the spider and about 30 minutes later turn the grid over and give it another 30 minutes. This should remove any rust.

Then remove your CI grid and at a higher level using a normal grid if needed put the hot CI grid on the grid. With some cooking oil and a thick piece of paper towel give the CI grid a heavy coating.

Thirdeye's ThirdHand works fantastic for removing and changing hot grids.

You can the cook on the grid or even get the CI grid hot again not as long as above, you don't want to cook off that oil coating, and re-coat the CI grid again and do it a third time if you want. When not in use put the grid in a paper bag (not plastic) to store. The paper bag will help a little with the moisture.

After cooking on the CI grid brush it and oil it then let it cool. It is easy to tell if the CI is seasoned well.

We do a lot of searing on the grids so it is going to take a bit more care to keep it oiled.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    i have a full size CI grid for my large. i use it exclusively for day to day cooks. i never do anything to it except brush off any big chunks of food that stick. i've had it for two years, even left it out in the rain from time to time - and there has never been a bit of rust.

I also have an 8" diameter CI grid that I place directly on the coals for the occasional sear. it is completely covered in rust. I assume that is because no protective crud will withstand the heat so it's always bare metal. Maybe if I oiled it after it cooled off each time, that would help, but I seem to always forget. when i need it again, i just brush it and oil then. oiled rust dust adds a delicious flavor to a nice ribeye. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub

Brush and oil after the cook is done when the grid is still hot.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Michael, it is the same with Dutch Ovens. Your continued use is what is keeping the rust away. After you cook on the 8" CI grid clean as you normally do, oil and when cooled some put in a paper sack. That will hold of the rusting for a bit longer. A well seasoned Dutch Oven will not rust for a long time but eventually without use or re-seasoning it will eventually rust.

When rusted wire brush, heat and season and then season again.

I bought a Weber searing grate
    [url][/url] http://www.weber.com/gourmetbbq/ because I liked the idea of the cross grate design. Inner cast iron part only.

I now wonder how hard it is going to be to clean and seasoned.

Kent
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just go get a can of Pam with olive oil and hit it before and after cooking. I took the time and seasoned my grates and it burns right off when you do high temp cooks. Takes about 5 seconds to hit the grate with Pam.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks, Kent. I know all that, I just never seem to DO it! :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Slightly OT, but what is the advantage to using CI for a super hot and super quick sear? Wouldn't a stainless grid work better for this application? It seems like all of the benefits of CI are negated given the high temp/short duration of contact with the grid.

What am I missing?
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Hey, GG, what size is that Weber grate?
    Looks cool.
    Thanks.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Grandpas Grub

Not OT at all...

Cast Iron will hold the extreme heat longer when the cold meat is put on the grate. If the grate is very close to the the lump I am guessing there wouldn't be much difference.

I will sear a hunk of beef in a CI Dutch Oven for a wider sear and to develop more flavor.
    doroast1.jpg

doroast3.jpg

doroast7.jpg

With T-Rexing a steak the idea is to get the egg very hot, the cast iron grid is at fire ring level or so and very hot. The meat is seared, the egg cooled and the meat put back on for the roast.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

I put a link in the above post to the grid. Photo egg uses it on his small.

The grid diameter is 11.75 inches. Each tab is another 1/2". I want to use it on the small and larger eggs.

GG
  • Thanks GG. I definitely understand the benefit of CI in general, but I wasn't sure whether it made a difference when searing right next to the coals with spider due to extreme heat and short duration of contact with the meat.

I think this answered the question:
    Cast Iron will hold the extreme heat longer when the cold meat is put on the grate.

Great looking Dutch Oven cook, btw. Thanks for the pics! Dutch Oven is yet another accessory I "need" for my BGE. :)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I find the SS to be so much lighter and seems (for me) to work just as well.
    Retired the CI to the storage box.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    I brush down my CI grid after cooking while Its still hot,debris comes right off. Let it cool down Then spray with pam before next cook.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    I have CI for my XL (has two halves) and my small. Use both very frequently and don't take any special care except for brushing them after the cook, while hot. Seems to be enough grease left after brushing to protect them. No rust problems after two years.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Don't often post, but when I do I love the responses. Thanks again to all for the responses and keep them coming if there is something we missed.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Excellent post Kent. You explained the process very well, thanks!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This