Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help... egg lid appears to be sealed shut....

Options
darrott
darrott Posts: 12
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I was cooking pizza and noticed that an already worn gasket was looking a little cooked....
when outside this morning to clean up and the lid will not open. I am thinking that some of the glue from the the gasket has caused the lid to be glued shut... It is the original gasket from green egg if that makes any difference...

Any ideas???

D

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Take the cap off the top and put a lit starter cube in the bottom through the vent. That will get your left over lump lit and when you get up around 350-400 it should open. -RP
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    I just had this happen to me after doing a clean burn (wish I would have left it dirty!!!). I took a metal putty knife and got it in between the gasket in a few places and then pryed it open. Did ribs last Sunday and didn't have any issues keeping my temps steady at 250*, but did notice a little smoke coming out of the seam when I shut her down.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Try AZRP's suggestion first if that doesn't work then 70chevelle's.

For other folks if this happens and you have the dome open and see the adhesive has softened, gasket moved some, get a wood chunk, quarter, something to put between the dome and base and close the dome. Not having the two surfaces touch most of the time will prevent the adhesive penetrating both gaskets and sealing.

The adhesive being used on the felt gaskets will soften/melt quicker. The felt melting enough to seal top and bottom takes a lot of heat and that heat maintained for a longer time period. A clean burn will most always seal the base and dome. Again a spacer will help prevent the bonding.

GG
  • darrott
    darrott Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions...

Darren