Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overdone Steak

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had the weirdest thing go on with a pack of steaks. Had 5 ribeyes from Costco, all about 1-1/2" thick. Nicely marbled things. Did two of them one night...pulled at 145 on the thermapen. Looked nice and pink inside. By the time I actually ate the thing maybe 6 mins later, it was closer to well done than pink. Well, ok. Did another two the next day. Pulled at 140. Same thing! The last one was split for lunch and I pulled it at 135. It had a little bit of pink here and there, but was still WAY more done than I usually do. I checked the thermapen in boiling water...exactly 212. I've used it for other stuff and it is perfect. The closer to 10 minutes sitting time in these continued cooking these things the entire time as far as I can tell. I mean, I've had them continue a little bit, but not to the point of medium to well done! These WERE ribeyes and did have a lot of fat which stays pretty warm, but I thought it was odd. All had olive oil on the surface before cooking, so thought maybe it helped insulate them. Feel like I lost my touch for steaks! Will try a strip next time![p]mShark

Comments

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    MollyShark,[p]I like a ribeye done medium - I usually pull my steak off anywhere between 118 and 125, if I wait until 127 it starts to head into the medium-well range. I will also stack the steaks on top of each other as I bring them in & let them rest. This keeps them warm & they do keep cooking a bit this way.[p]mmm ribeye, I might have to have some steak tonight![p]Chuck
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    chuckls,[p]I'm a rare/med rare type. With strips and such 140 gives me rare. With these...it's gotta be the higher fat marbling or something. Next time I'm gonna sear it and maybe forget about the dwell all together!!!! Jeez.[p]mShark
  • Standbell
    Standbell Posts: 42
    MollyShark,
    I'm having the same problem. Cooked too many rib eye's to count, then the other day, I did a 2" one with Dizzy Dust Cowlick. My usual timing is 4-4-4, @ 800F. It was way over done........first time this has ever happened. Gotta chck my Tel-tru, maybe it was off. I like mine on the rare side. This last one was not too good.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    standbell, 4,4,4 wow way over for 2 inchers.
    The think its more like 90 to 120 seconds per side then a rest for about 10-15 minutes then just let them bake for about 10 minutes for med rare. Most steaks should rest, Goes back to the Trex method. Most of your steak houses have a better heat retaining grate so the searing is pretty straight forward, then they let it rest on a cooler side of the heat source.

• MollyShark, what I have found in using the Thermapen is to keep the Thermapen away from the heat source. Remove the meat from the heat source, and then measure. What I experienced were higher temp readings measuring with the meat on the grill than with the meat off the grill. The Thermapen is so sensitive that it picks up and registers pit heat before entering the meat.
    I measured a steak (on the grill) at 150° that I knew was still raw, took it off the grill, and it was 90°.
    You ave a different problem, however.