Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

filet mignon

skitter_pop
skitter_pop Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bout to Egg a couple of filets. Any quick tips, the Egg is on it's way up to 650-700 for searing.. No meat thermometer yet . Have to do a bit of guesswork.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Do your sear for about 60 to 90 seconds per side, that depends on how far the meat is away from the lump.

There are a couple of books that explain how to tell how well the meat is done by feeling your hand. Hope I can explain this so you can understand. You will test the feel of the cooked meat by touching the flesh between the thumb and index finger.

For rare put your index finger on your thumb and with your other hand feel the firmness of the flesh spot explained above.

Medium - medium rare, touch the middle finger to the thumb and touch the flesh spot.

Well done, ring finger on your thumb and again feel the flesh spot.

When the meat you are cooking feels the firmness above you will (or should be) able to tell how well done the meat is.

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here ya go, here is a link with some pictures. A little different from what I read but this should be close enough.

[img size=150][/img]
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/the_finger_test_to_check_the_doneness_of_meat/

• well GG I am used to doing filet on my gas grill. I would crank it to about 450 and cook on all four sides for a couple minutes each side. Bout perfected it to med to medium rare. New ballpark now, so. Anyway when I got up from posting my question the egg was allready topping the thermometer out. So I popped em in and shut the lid and it was at 650. 2 minutes one side flip, two mins the other side, f;ip, shut the vents off and ended up 3-4 mins i think to finish. Mine was perfect med rare. Wife was a bit thicker and a bit less done. But not bad anyway for the first filets. But, and this is funny, I ran in and got the OLD meat thermometer out and stuck the thinker one , and waited, and waited, and waited...never got to 100, but it may have in a few more minutes. lol Definitely am looking forward now to the Thermapen. The sear this time was Great. Had a bit of crunch on the outside. yum
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    The thermapen takes all the guess work out. My cooks got exponentially better after I received mine! B)
  • Yeah I basically knew that. Pretty much how I've always grilled meat. But gonna try and use the temp method as soon as I get my new toys. I think my wifes tonight was rare. She likes hers less done than me anyway. SHe's the one who got me to try med rare. I ordered , of all thing, prime rib once at a restuarant medium or med well and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Wasn't the greatest. SHe had me taste her med rare and MAN . Converted me on the spot. Thanks for the pics though. Not sure I have seen that exact example before of how to check. Just basically had learned from what the meat felt like on my own.
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    Go to the naked whiz site, and read up on the t-Rex method for cooking steaks. Its a little different, but the results are worth it... Found that out 2 nights ago.
  • Yeah i saw that browsing the other day too golfguy. Haven't taken the time to look at in depth yet. Something about taking them off and then putting them back on? I will check it out. Thanks! I've just been going on the Egg page ribeye video so far.
  • Yeah looking forward to my medium rare colored Thermapen! well it's pink, but who cares! lol. 20 bucks cheaper!