Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomato Substitue

Options
bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes, but I do love salsa, pizza sauce, ketchup etc. I just don't like them raw so I'm always on the search for alternatives. Last night I really hit the jackpot.

I made some salsa/relish/chutney (whatever you want to call it) with some of the pickled watermelon rind I made a few weeks ago. I just diced it finely and added onion, red pepper, jalapeno, black pepper, chile powder and a bit of honey.

Just had some on chicken soft tacos made of leftover Egged chicken. It was fantastic. Of too buy more watermelon just for the rind! When I made my pickled rind I used a good deal of lemon/orange zest so this also has a nice citrus kick. Can't wait to Egg some fish for fish tacos to put this on. Just have to suffer through the heat index.

5985326218_82a03ccf45.jpg
Pickled Watermelon Rind Salsa by bitslammer, on Flickr

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    That's a great idea! Yummmmmmmm.........
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very cool.
    I have the same view on tomatoes.
    Your relish looks very refreshing and still healthy.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Two of my 5 kids have the same feeling about raw tomatoes.

Do you mind sharing how you are pickling the rinds and the mix for the "salsa/relish/chutney". It would be nice to have something else to offer those picky ankle biters.

Kent
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Looks good Chris, how have you guys been??
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Looks great. Did some chutney recently.

Chutney, Watermelon Rind, Richard Fl.

This is a combination of a recipe for watermelon pickles, which had cinammon and clove flavoring and a chutney that had some of the other ingredients, plus what I added.

INGREDIENTS:
    6 Cups Watermelon Rind
    1/4 Cup Salt
    Water to cover
    1 Small Spice Bag with
    3-4 Sticks Cinnamon
    1 Tbs Whole Cloves
    1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
    8 Ozs Golden Raisins
    1/2 Cup Ginger, Fresh, shredded
    1/3 Cup Pickled, Chili Peppers, Chopped Finely
    1 Tbs Crushed Red Pepper
    6 Ozs Maraschino Cherries, Chopped in half, reserve juice
    2 Medium Vidalia Onions
    1 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    1 Tbs Death by Garlic Seasoning
    2 Cups Sugar, White
    1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts

PROCEDURE:
    1 Peel and trim rinds so that they’re all white; cut into 1” cubes. Dissolve salt in water and soak rinds for an hour or two or overnight in refrigerator. Rinse the salt off. In a heavy pan cover with fresh water and bring water and rinds to a slow boil and cook for about 30 minutes until rinds are beginning to clear. Rinse and add to seasonings.
    2 In a 4-quart saucepan, combine rind, spice bag, all seasonings, vinegar, water, sugar, ginger, peppers, garlic, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, and stir until sugar dissolves. Cook for about 15-30 minutes. Stirring often.
    3 Check rinds by probing with a toothpick---they should be slightly firm. Allow to cool, place in a covered glass container or jar and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to mingle. Or cool chutney and chill in airtight container for 1–3 days to allow flavors to mellow.

Recipe Type
    Condiment

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2011/06/20
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    A great idea - my wife hates raw tomatoes so much she has a phobia of them! I will try the recipe.

Richard, you guys over the pond use the term 'cups' in recipes - it's not a term we use in the UK so how much does a cup weigh? I always get stuck with this term when following US recipes - help appreciated!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    That sounds like a winner. Looks good too, nice picture
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks Richard.

Kent
  • bitslammer
    bitslammer Posts: 818
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:

Two of my 5 kids have the same feeling about raw tomatoes.

Do you mind sharing how you are pickling the rinds and the mix for the "salsa/relish/chutney". It would be nice to have something else to offer those picky ankle biters.

Kent

I just wing it with salt/sugar/vinegar and spices. I Googled for a recipe and saw they all seem to share that part. I like Richard's method. I don't use a proper canning method because I'm using so much salt & vinegar that I'm not worried about bacterial growth. The pickling part is still a work in progress for me. In my first attempt I didn't remove the skin because I wanted to see if I could keep that. Didn't work; too leathery.
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Nice idea... looks delicious!
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the follow up. I was wondering about the skin.

Kent