Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok went wrong?

Options
Chuter
Chuter Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Received my wok from Ceramic Grill Store this week and seasoned it yesterday. Scrubbed it 3 times to get oils, etc. off. Put on some peanut oil with paper towel and put it in the oven at 450* for 20 minutes. When I removed it, it had a nice golden color except for about a 3 inch diameter on the bottom. The oil pooled in that area and it didn't have the golden color. I scrubbed it again and did the same procedure 3 mores times. That area still didn't get the same color. Although I think it should be O.K., if I were to do it again, I would use a little less oil and I would turn it upside down in the over to prevent the pooling.

Comments

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi Chuter,

Here is a link that worked well for me. I used lard to season my wok.

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/wokcare.html

Best of Luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    i do them upsidedown just like a castiron pan. traditionally big woks are done slowly on top of a burner but i feel its mostly because it doesnt fit in an oven or egg upsidedown. you could probably just start cooking in yours as the oil will collect in the bottom anyways as you cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Chuter:

Sounds like you answered your own question...turning upside down will take care of the pooling issue...I actually leave my wok in the Egg all the time...after each use I rinse it out, put a very light coat of Crisco on it and place back in the hot Egg (upside down), then just leave it there...if I'm not woking something in that Egg I'll set it on the counter while cooking the other items, then back into the Egg once done cooking...good place to store it, plus continually seasoning.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL