Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temps for whole chickens?

Travelball Dad
Travelball Dad Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg working for a week or so and have done some awesome burgers, steaks, and chicken breasts. FWIW, Before bge it was nothing to special to grill out for my wifes taste, post bge she is asking for grilled food all the time! :)
Well tonight I have a very rare free night, (no travelball or cheerleading), and want to cook some whole chickens to try the pulled chicken idea, and get some good meat for buffalo chicken dip, sandwiches or so forth. Anyway, I am going home at lunch to season the chickens and let them sit until after work. My questions are...oh btw, I just got the plate setter so I want to try that also...

how long and at what temp internally should i cook the chicken to?
plate setter up or down?
does placing a tray of wine to "steam" next to the chickens help, hurt or indifferent?
any suggestions, pointers, hints, don't do's, would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Don't add any additional moisture to the egg, it's hard enough getting a nice skin on chicken and it sure doesn't need to be any more moist than it will be. ;)

You can cook them at 250-500. Many around here use 350-400 as the go-to temp for poultry. The breast should be cooked to 165º and thighs at least 185º for the right texture, even 195. You can do it direct or indirect, whichever you end up taking a liking to. I do them raised direct at 400.

Here's some good intel on internal temps.
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Raised grid direct for me at 400 to 450. My whole birds cook in about and hour. I dont really worry about sticking the quarters for a temp check. If you take the breast to 165, the rest of the bird will be way past the done temp. Just my observations. Direct birds are one of my favorite cooks. You can't beat em!
  • Any kind of Chicken I always use a raised grid (direct).

Lo-slo chicken at 250 I think yields the best results.

I cook my chickens to 180 - 190 in the thigh.
    Breasts are done at 165. use whichever guideline is more important to you. (Thighs are done at 165, I just find them too rubbery and lacking in flavor).

skip the smoke for your first cook. Chicken is very sensitive to smoke (easy to overdo it) so see how you like it first.
  • excuse my lack of knowledge please. "raised direct"? the grates in the normal or stock position or higher than that?

Here they are taking some flavor in before tonights trial.

waitingchicken.jpg

**Sorry, I found out about raised grids. Gotta get one. So do times or temp change with the standard grid?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Correct. You can raise the main grid up 3-4 inches to get it higher above the fire. Use whatever means you have at your disposal to do this. I use fire bricks at three locations around the firebox.

Nothing changes since you are cooking to temperature and not time.
  • A spatchocked chicken takes me 45-50 minutes on a raised grid at 400. I hit the breasts with a piccard tenderizer and let some butter on top of the breast to cook in, otherwise the usual rub