Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grassfed brisket plateau temp different?

Options
grok
grok Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I'm cooking my first brisket and I'm using a 5lb grassfed and finished cut. I'm using, for the first time, a dual-probe Maverick ET-732. When I first turned it on outside in air, both of the probes were reading 99 (the food probe) or 104 (the air/grill probe). I presume this was accurate since I am in Austin, and it was around 2:30pm, and around 100 outside. I went inside and held the grill probe in an AC vent. The intake air according to the thermostat was 77, and the probe was reading 59 after a couple of minutes. This is about what I would get with a candy thermometer up in the AC vent, so again it seems to be pretty close. If anything, the food probe was reading a little higher when outside on the porch (didn't try it in the ac vent), but then again it was in free air.

Anyway, I started the brisket around 3:30 in the egg with the probe showing around 230 degrees F. The dome was saying around 250. Later, the difference between the dome and the grill was much smaller -- when the grill read 220, the dome was reading 235, and around 4 hours now, the grill probe is at 228 and the dome only 4 or 5 degrees higher. I am chalking this up to the temp of the meat causing a slight change in air temperature at the nearby probe when the differential is high.

So to my question: after 4.5 hours, the internal temp probe is reading 154. It has been at 154 for about 1.5 hours now. Is this the plateau? I thought it was supposed to be closer to 170. So I'm wondering if my unit isn't calibrated well, or if a grass-fed brisket just has a different plateau temperature. It is a leaner cut than what I have seen at the local grocery store, for one, and I read an article (playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot) that mentioned that grass-fed fat is more yellow than grain-fed. OH! it just moved to 156, hmm.. anyone else have experience with grass-fed briskets?

Comments