Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hey, you Texas folks...

Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I thought you folks need water out that way - wish you would keep a little. We are getting a series of storms from your area that are just dumping buckets of water out here. Yesterday 2" within a few hours we had unusual flooding. Water up mid point on car doors. Normally we are lucky if we get .75" of rain in July and very little there rest of the year. The humidity is so low that seldom does rain hit the ground.

If the weather guessers are correct we are going to get hit again this afternoon.

Keep some of that stuff for yourselves...

GG

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Well send it back, we would glady take it. Lord knows my yard needs it bad.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Can you box it up and sent down here. I will send you the fedx label :laugh:
    What really hurts is the high pressure that is parked on top of us will probably cause the storm in the gulf track south thru mexico.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    We heard a loud crack followed by low thunder coming from above the clouds, and then something that sounded like, "#%&! Missed again!!!"

Spring "It's Nice To Be Hit Sometimes" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub

I have only had to water the yard 2 times this season. Normally 2 to 3 times a week. That much water that quick does little good.

Wish I could get it to drop some your way.

• Grandpas Grub

That high pressure is what is causing the moisture to hit us. Normally we never see any of these type storms.

• Grandpas Grub

Summer time we get a few thunder storms and we can see the rain falling from the clouds but not very often that moisture ends up hitting the ground. Humidity is just too low in these parts. Most of the time dry cracked skin.

• Spring Chicken
    The first time I saw that phenomenon was years ago while driving from El Paso to Roswell. I could see sheets of rain falling hard just a couple of miles in front of me. I actually drove under it and never got a drop on the car.

When I arrived in Roswell for my appointment with an attorney I asked about it. He said it happens all the time because the lower air is so hot and dry that rain evaporates before hitting the ground. Happens with snow too... He didn't know the scientific term for it but I learned it later. Verga.

Roswell was also the first place where I saw what I thought was impossible: 0% humidity. Also happens all the time.

I'm 70 years old and apparently still have a lot to learn.

Spring "Learning Is Everything It's Cracked Up To Be" Chicken
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Leroy! Yikes! Verga? Do you know the Spanish translation? :woohoo:
  • Spring Chicken
    I do now...

There's a restaurant chain in Mississippi and Louisiana called **** of the Walk. I suppose they could call it Verga of the Walk but that doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Spring "Ring-a-Ding-Ding" Chicken
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    Is rain the stuff that seems like water falling out of the air? I seem to have trouble remembering whta it is :unsure: ......blaming us for the rain is just sand in the wound!!! :laugh: only 1.1 inch of rain in Lubbock since January I think we had some of that 0% humidity too in June. August is nornally the hottest month of the year and we have already set hottest year on record ... so I hate to think what could be coming!! I could probably smoke a brisket in the car if I left it in the sun and kept the windows rolled up! Anyways enjoy the rain while you can.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I guess I could change my last name fron Cockerham to Vergaerham. No, I don't think so. Hey! We could call you Spring Verga!
  • Spring Chicken
    Yea, we've been using ice instead of lump to smoke cheese. Potatoes come already baked from riding in the truck. Bread starts out as dough and by the time it gets to the store it's baked.

If we were the government we could just change the numbers on thermometers ever so slightly and tell the people it's only 88° instead of 98°. Coffee companies got away with that kind of logic too - 16 oz is now 11 oz and costs more.

The Good ol' Days were better than we thought.

Spring "Yard Sprinklers Just Water The Air" Chicken
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    We have had down pours every afternoon for 2 weeks Kent. Love not watering the small patch of grass I have, but the weed side is flourishing also. :unsure:
    More coming soon with the dark sky outside.
    See you soon!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub

pretty common around these parts. Driving, it's hot and we can see what appears to be a cloud burst, get under those dark clouds and nothing.

• Grandpas Grub

If you want hot go to Las Vegas in the summer. It will literally melt the soles of tennis type shoes and burn your feet. Go out side at 1am and it's still hot as can be. I am guessing Arizona is somewhat the same.

• Grandpas Grub

It's pouring now with huge hail. I though someone had thrown some rocks at the car.

Sure hope we can get the timing put together, looking forward to the adventure.

Kent