Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first stoker cook: the end result!

Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I started my first stoker cook last night... I put the pork butt on around 10pm last night. Stoker set @ 250F grid, indirect with a drip pan filled with apple juice. For smoke, I used a mix of apple chips and mesquite chips.

Didn't open the dome once until 16 hours had passed. Pulled @195F.

This is what I was greeted with! The aroma was unbelievable.

IMG_6183.jpg

I cooked it fat side down, and some of the bits stayed behind on the grid. That is, until I went back with a fork and pulled them off and ate them. lol

IMG_6185.jpg

Here it is, after nearly 2 hours rest wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil, towels, and stuck in a cooler.

IMG_6186.jpg

It was incredibly tender! It literally just fell apart. I've cooked butts before where I would have to literally work to get it off the bone etc... but not this one! Perfectly cooked.

IMG_6188.jpg

Look at the bark! Making me want another plate of it. haha

IMG_6189.jpg

The blade bone came clean without any real work from me. The pork was just falling off it...

IMG_6190.jpg

Zoom of the blade bone.

IMG_6191.jpg

Delicous scrumptious pulled pork.

IMG_6192.jpg

Plated, with egg roasted corn on the cob, pasta salad, and home made cole slaw (even with homemade mayo).

IMG_6193.jpg

Served with some North Carolina style hot vinegar sauce.

IMG_6195.jpg

Can't wait for tomorrow, so I can make a pulled pork sandwich! :D

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Thanks for the update-I'm going on 20 hours in (8.6# butt) with a calibrated dome of 250+/- 10*F since 10 PM (EDT) last night and the beast has settled on 195*F for the past 2 hours. Goosed the dome to 290*F and am going to declare victory in about 30 minutes-then HDAF wrap for at least an hour and pull.
    Enjoy from your side of the pond-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Man, I love North Carolina style vinegar sauce up here in Indiana most folks have never had it. When I have made some to go with pulled pork I have made they have liked/enjoyed it, but I sure had some funny looks. I also finely chop some cabbage and make coleslaw with the vinegar sauce and put a "saamwich" together. Fracking great. Doing my first butt on the BGE next weekend hope mine looks a good as yours. Well done!!
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I kept going back and forth between a north Carolina style coleslaw, and a mayo based slaw...

I chose the mayo based slaw mainly as a palette cleanser to offset the heat from the pork rub, vinegar sauce, and jalapeños :D
  • Looks great Did 2 Butts myself this weekend..Be a Pork Kinda week with leftovers...Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Gotta love it when you have leftovers for sandwiches.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • EggNeato
    EggNeato Posts: 19
    I've never had North Carolina style hot vinegar sauce, but it sure does look good. Would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    That looks delicious. I have done a couple butts and they have been great. Maybe the egg fairy will get me a stoker for Christmas if I keep feeding her good food. Thanks for sharing. Have a bite for me, extra bark please.
  • Wow looking real good!

EggNeato wrote:
    I've never had North Carolina style hot vinegar sauce, but it sure does look good. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I would be interested in this as well!

Thanks!