Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

meat thermometers

skitter_pop
skitter_pop Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a thermometer. Maybe the Taylor 1470N.
Any suggestions, or is this a good one for using w the Egg?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thermapens are real popular around here. And apparently, they're having a sale...

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1127780&catid=1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Not to knock anyone's cool gadget, but man $69 and all it does is read the temp. lol I was actually thinking of one that you put in the meat and leave and you get a readout without even opening the lid, plus it has an alarm and/or a timer for 20 bucks. any advice , pro or con for that type?
  • Plus, all they had left was PINK!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    lol, didn't you know? PINK is the most accurate color!! :)

For the type you mention, a popular one is the Maverick ET-73 or the latest model, ET-732. About $40 I think. ebay, amazon should have them. I have a 73, rarely use it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Here is my experience...

I too asked the forum. I too was told to get a Thermapen. I too thought oh, crap that's a lot of money.

As I normally do, I started looking for 'other' thermometers and ended up buying several, well many. Some for $5, some for $10, some for $20. By the time I got done I have a drawer full of thermometers and was out $120 all just trying not to spend that 80 to 90 bucks or so.

I then read all the other posts about people asking and finally called Thermaworks and bought the Thermapen.

Spending that much money for a stupid thermometer really went against my grain, but I did it and I could have saved a bunch of money if I just listened to the folks that have been down this road before me.

It's now 3 years later. I paid a price not listening to the many people telling me to get the Thermapen. That one purchase has done more for the quality of my cooking, on and off the egg, than almost anything else I have done.

I would add one more piece of advice, listen or not it doesn't really matter. Besides getting a Thermapen (no substitute) as quick as you can cook to temperature and only use time as a guide.

At some point in time you too will say that is the best advice I have ever received. I would venture to guess at some point in time you too will be the proud owner and user of a Thermapen.

GG
  • I have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SZ10/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005NN9B&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1HRKTPE6AYXKBMCD5Y6G

And am very happy with it. I didn't buy it from Amazon though - I think I either got it from a BBQ Galore, or a Correlle Outlet store, or a Bed Bath & Beyond (heck, I can't remember, but it was a real, live "brick & mortar" store) :woohoo:

Anyway, I'm satisfied w/ it, it's easy to use, works well, and I can monitor 2 different meats @ one time (in case someone wants a med-rare steak while someone else wants a well-done steak)...

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Grandpas Grub

Sorry Hillbilly-Hightech, I wouldn't recommenced that to my worst enemy. Mine was truly a huge POS.

If skitter_pop is wanting a monitor thermometer and for the same price or close get the improved ET-732. Alarms, extended coverage, higher temperature tolerances, better on/off switches and a few other improvements.

This is not a good finish thermometer, only get a Thermapen (in addition to a Maverick ET-732).

Hillbilly-Hightec, if you want to pay the shipping you can have my ET-7.

GG
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Not sure what type of cooking you plan on doing but I ordered a Maverick 732 the day I got my Egg. It has worked great for slo cooks. Sit inside and be able to monitor the grill temp and food. I just ordered a thermapen for the quicker week night cooks. Should be here any day. Temperature is everything.
  • heh... what do you have to be "sorry" about? Your experience was bad, mine has been good (actually, I should be sorry for you, as you're the one who didn't get what he paid for)!!! :P

Anyway, as with ALL things, each person should do his own research. Once mine goes "belly-up" I'll probably get the "latest & greatest" model (ET-732, or some other brand).

And I'm not saying that Maverick is the one to get, but rather a remote thermometer is what I was recommending (could be ANY brand that does the job) - I just like the convenience of it being remote, allowing me to go about my daily "bid-ness" without constantly going out to check on the temp. :cheer:

As far as a "finish thermometer" - apparently I don't cook anything that needs to be THAT exact :blush: - if I'm doing something like steaks, once it hits my target temp of say, 125, then I pull it & let it rest under aluminum foil.

If I ever get good enough that I need to know the EXACT temp within a very tight tolerance, then I'll invest in something a bit more... shall we say... "luxurious" :woohoo:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Listen to GG he's right. They are allot of money but they take the guessing out of the equation. I also have a Maverick 732, only use it on long cooks, I use the Thermapen every night. They just work really well, you can also keep the hair on your arms because they are so fast.
  • Grandpas Grub

:):) If you like the 7 that's great.

I bought the ET-7 instead of the ET-73 cuz it was quite a bit cheaper. However, what I didn't realize (read - my own fault) was that it had 2 food probes, no alarms, lower temperature tolerances among other things.

Then I bought the 73 which served me well for 3 or so years then the 732.

10° difference on your steaks will make a difference, if you don't have one look into the Thermapen, it made a big difference in my cooking, but maybe I was a real crappy cook... :laugh:

Be well my friend.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I used a Taylor instant read for several months. I was convinced there was no difference between it and a Thermapen. I was dead wrong. Get the Thermapen, enjoy it and don't look back.
  • wow, thanks for the replies. That's what I like about this forum, lot's of activity. Well I've only cooked three times since I got the Egg saturday. Ribeyes, 1/2 a boston butt and peach cobbler. All turned out good with the first two checked w a cheapo meat thermo. Still. It would have been nice on the BB to have had a temp monitor in the meat the whole time. But, on the other hand, maybe that takes some of the fun out of it. I like to be paying attention when I grill. But for my low & slow I left it overnight... Anyway the one I had Taylor I had seen wasn't even a remote. But it did have timer/alarm/ etc. BTW what the heck is a stoker w wifi. I understand the wifi part , but what's a stoker? A stoker w wifi? Is that fair? lol seems like cheating..
    I did find out w ribeyes , at least with one inch thick that I probably should have went 2 min/2 min/2 min . But MAN the were JUICY as could be even well done. I like mine med rare, but never had a well done steak so juicy and tasty. Just a little Grill Mates steak rub. Next time 2/2/2 tho
    I have cooked a steak just by temp in my life, but it sounds like the consensus is , w a Termapen I could..hmm
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Got a Thermapen a few years back, regretted the junk I'd bought before (although not quite $120 worth), love it.
    And, the Man in the Brown Shorts just left a Maverick ET-732 on my doorstep about 45 minutes ago! B) My first overnight brisket cook resulted in a dead fire, and lunch became supper (glad I hadn't planned a party). Looking forward to using a thermometer/alarm/wireless that will wake me if the fire gets too cold, or hot.
    3-day weekend coming up!

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• yeah my first low and slow fire went out overnight too. Have to check out the Maverick too..
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    $89. Is the price for a new thermapen what ever color you want. $69. is for a thermapen that may have been returned or the package may have a blem. Anyway you look at it most oll of us here on the BGE forum use it as our go to for accurate temp measurement. I will tell you this thermoworks tech support is bar none the best. I suggest you get when you see fit you won't be disappointed.

Next I suggest you spend your money once and get the new and improved Maverick ET-732. It's the best bang for your buck and the best temp device going right now.

Your choice :)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Some time ago I went to Oregon Scientific.com and did a search for their model AW131. It is a remote thermometer for the cook. You can set a target temp or a range by type of meat. Okay, it cost 50 smackers, bur every time I calibrate it, it's dead on and it has great range (it's about 65 feet from the BGE to the flat screen TV. Best of all, it talks to me! At 5 degrees from target, it says "Almost done". then, at target temp "Done"!
    A great help when I doze, and, at my age, I doze!
    I really love it and do recommend it.

:cheer: :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I have one of these and it works pretty well. It was like $25.00 at Walmart or Target.

http://www.taylorusa.com/kitchen/thermometers/gourmet-digital-cooking-thermometer-timer.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • yeah Dave, that's just like the one I originally asked about! Does everything, just doesn't have the remote.
  • Grandpas Grub

Guru Products and the Stoker are powered vent systems. Consisting of a control box, a blower, pit probe(s) and food probe(s).

These units monitor the pit and food temperatures when the pit heat gets too low they turn the blower on, when at temperature blower off.

The Stoker adds the ability to add more blowers, pit probes and food probes.

This is a butt cook with the DigiQ controlling the cook and the Stoker remote monitoring the same cook. The Stoker was also controlling and monitoring a Brisket cook on another egg at the same time.

With the Stoker if you want you can plot the entire cook and see where all of the temperatures are at and how often, how long the blower was on.

brisketlog.jpg

GG