Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Sirloin Tip

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I Posted a note last nite re a whole sirloin tip. This beast weighs in at about 8.5 pounds. I bought it for 2 reasons. 1) I got a real deal on it and 2) I pulled a big hunk of pork last wk end, and was REALLY happy.[p]Got a couple of responses to my posting last nite-- (thanks!) and the consensus was that this piece of meat was too good to pull... But I really don't want to cook the thing as a roast. (only 2 of us here, even we cant eat 8.5 pounds of sliced roast)[p]If I want to turn this into beef bb-q, could someone outline a game plan. Or should I throw the thing in the freezer and go shopping again for some cow that would be more appropriate?[p]Saint

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Saint,
    MikeO's idea sounded great. Sounds like you originally wanted pulled beef, and I think the techniques he mentioned would work. Plus I am curious to see if you can get it to cook up sort of like a brisket.[p]Let us know what you do....but don't give up and stick it in the freezer![p]I was in your position a few weeks ago when I bought a sirloin tip, and didn't know what to do with it. I ended up freezing half of it, and makig 2 batches of jerky with the other half! I think I will pull out the 5 pound chunk I have in the freezer, and try to do pulled beef next week![p]Thanks for the idea!
    Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Saint,[p]I make Italian Beef in the oven by basically putting a TON of italian seasoning on a beef roast, slow cooking it with some beef broth overnight, then pulling it and making sandwiches. I can't see any reason why a Sirloin Tip roast would not work the same way on the egg, it's probably a bit leaner than the roasts that I use for Italian beef but that shouldnt cause any trouble. I'd give it a shot, rub it down, slow cook it, add some Q sauce and enjoy. Heck, you got a deal on the meat anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained. Let us know how it comes out if you try it. Or, if you want, send the roast here and I'LL try it and let you know how it comes out. hehehe[p]Troy
  • sprinter,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I am definately gonna try it-- I have 12.50 invested, plus charcoal... Heck- can't even go to a movie for that-- and this will provide entertainment for HOURS!
    Saint

• Nature Boy,
    Will definately post a followup-- nuttin ventured, nuttin gained.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    saint,[p]Yeah, and if it turns out well you'll enjoy the Q for DAYS. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Saint, sounds like you have the whole sirloin quarter of beef or a portion of it. When George and I were posting it was in reference to a actual sirlion tip steak or small roast. These are the finest portions of the sirloin and treated differently.[p]One of our butchers advised he considered a genuine sirloin tip to be even better than a "Tri-Tip" which is cut out of the big sirloin portion.
    Yes, you can roast the entire thing, but you will have portions of it cooking differently, with variables in tenderness.
    If you buy at your suggested price..and can learn to carve out those portions, you will really have some great eating along with some excellent hamburger. Just thoughts..
    Cheers..C~W

• Char-Woody, The thing is kinda weird looking. (and is 9.4 lbs) I put dry rub on it, let it stand for an hour or so (Don't have time for overnite), lit the egg, put a large drip pan on the bottom grate (salvaged from an ole faithfup Weber), put 1/2 gal water in the pan, plus 4 buds, pluged the polder in, closed the lid and stabalized temp at 180.[p]I plan to keep things that way until internal temp hits around 140, then wrap the cow in heavy duty foil, and bring the egg temp up to 275-300 until I get the cow up to whatever. I want it to be tender-- and want to pull it. Not sure-- 190 or so??[p]If you see any basic flaws in this, please let me know... As back up in case the cow self destructs, I have a rack of ribs rubbed and waiting-- plan to throw those on in the wee hrs. Sat am for lunch...
    Saint

• Char-Woody
    saint, your looking at a good solid 24 hour cook indirect over your set up..Its basically a good one. But I would leave it in there uncovered for the full cook. When the deep internal temp is at 200 pull it and wrap it in foil and finish in a ice chest. Your way too low on the initial heat range..Crank it up to 240 to 275 for this size chunk of meat. When indirect you won't hurt a thing. You will be 2 days at your lower temps.
    If you wrap at the 140 internal you will speed up the process, but wind up with a more steamed taste to the meat. I would go with the long haul if possible.. If not then your plan looks good.
    Good luck..either way should work.
    C~W
    BTW..we did do a large Pulled Pork with the wrap method in 4 or 5 hours..! Not true blue ribbon bbq, but it worked.[p]

• Char-Woody, Thanks -- 'bout 3 p (3 hrs into cook), I kicked the dome temp from 195 to 250; now, after total of 6 hrs cook, int. temp is at 143. I figured I would be cookint the darn beast 'til bout noon tomorrow. Now, I figure I should be in foil, in the ice chest by 9 or 10. [p]I was gonna finish the cook in foil 'cause I was worried that the meat would be tough if I didn't. Do you think it will stay tender if I cook it w/o wrapping it?[p]saint

• Char-Woody
    saint, For that cut..I would wrap it. It helps to break down the muscle/callogen tissues. Same as with pork. Your taking the beef well beyond the well done stage but retaining moisture to keep it from being both dry and tough.
    Good luck.
    C~W[p]

• OK...
    11.5 hrs cook time. Dome temp 275, Int., 168. I think I will wrap, and cut the dome temp to 175 - 200. (even egg guys sleep, right?)[p]Must admit-- recommisioned one of the Webers, put salmao w/teryakeeeee; was great for supper, and was good becsuse it kept me from messing around the egg. (maybe I AM type A)[p]Anyway-- update as the thing smokes on....
    Saint

• Char-Woody, I'm interested in the outcome of this one. Since there's not much fat in the muscle, my guess is that it will finish dry and stringy (hope I'm wrong).

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    George,
    You are absolutley right it will trun out dry and stringy. Sirloin tip is too lean for low an slo

• Char-Woody, sirloin tip is not from the loin/sirloin. It's from the round, sometimes called tip-of-round, and part of the knuckle. See knuckle under Round Cuts, and see sirloin under Loin Cuts in link. Why it's called sirloin tip is a mystery to me.

[ul][li]IBP Beef Link[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    saint, we are in suspense...I will check me mail for the time for lunch..:-) I got up at dawn to read the news!!
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    George, Now that is a site for sore eye"s....Very descriptive and your on the money again. My goof. My wife brought home a boneless rump roast..now I have to find it in that layout. 2.53 lbs of great looking meat.
    Thanks for catching that one!!
    Char-Woody

• Char-Woody,
    Okay-- Last nite at 9:45 or so, with meat temp in mid 160 range, I wraped in Foil. By 1 am, the int. temp had hit 180; At 5, the temp was hanging around 197. I had to decide rather to put the thing in a cooler, and babysit it, or do something else. I decided I wanted to sleep without worrying about the thing in a cooler, so I closed the lid and went to bed. The coals were pretty much burned at that point--[p]Slept 'til 8:30, and when I checked, the egg was down to 150 (at 5 it was at 260) and the meat internal temp was back down to 168.[p]Let it rest for an hour, still in foil.[p]Wish I could send you pictures. It is absolutely beautiful. The rub and spray (more later about that) formed a hard glaze over the whole roast, which kept the inside really moist.[p]The spray thing is something I learned from yrs w/ the weber. We grow a LOT of hop peppers, rosemary, etc. I put peppers in viniger, with whatever herbs hapen to be growing at the time. After that soaks for at least a month, I use the viniger, Wost. sauce, soy sauce, lemon juice, and salt to make a liquid that goes into a sprayer, which is great for chicken, chops, fish, or anything else that hapes to be on the grill. It doesnt alter the taste of whatever you may have used as a marinaide, or rub, but tends to really seal the juices into the meat. I got a sprayer from Home Depot that is pressurized; it holds 40 or 50 ounces of this stuff, and does a great job without clogging.[p]Sorry to be so wordy-- but I do appreciate all the good advice![p]Saint

• Char-Woody
    Saint, Congratulations and yep..lots of the old methods of meal preparations work in the BGE as well..only better! IMHO.
    And thank you for letting us in on your spray method. For the most part, we use rubs and marinates so we don't have to open the dome during the cook. Let us know how it shredded for you. And don't be afraid to load coal in the boiler for the long trip..:-) Try to keep large chunks to the bottom and fill with whatever on the top layers of coal. Then you can expect to go big time burn.
    Cheers....C~W

• Char-Woody,
    The beast pulled great-- yield out of a 9.5 pound hunk of meat was enough to fill 2 jumbo baggies-- very little waste 'cause there was very little fat.[p]By the way-- I used a rub, and still sprayed the thing everytime I opend the egg. (maybe once every 4 or 5 hours) During the cook I also cooked 20 chicken wings and a rack of ribs. There is something about the way the cool spray reacts with the hot meat that really tends to seal the juices. Besides, it is really fun to watch![p]Thanks again for the advice and encouragement. Ever pulled a turkey?![p]Saint

• Char-Woody
    saint, Turkey?? No, no turkey pull here yet.. I just managed to get past taffy and pork..:-)
    Glad that hunk of hefty tissue softened up for ya..Sound delicious...
    C~W[p]