Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker

Sardis Egghead
Sardis Egghead Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I have been lurking on the site for some time and have been wanting to get in on the fun of posting messages myself.

I recently purchased a Stoker and had a question.

Do I build my fire and get it close to temp before starting the stoker, or do I turn it on and let it bring it up to temp.

Thanks,

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Welcome!

I have a guru, but here's what I do. Light the lump and leave the dome open. install the guru and close the dome once all connections have been made and the target temps set. the guru brings the egg temp to target very nicely.

I haven't tried that with anything other than a 250° lo n slow, but it works great for that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    I generally get the temp close before I let the Stoker take over. I think it takes fewer cycles to zero in on the target temp that way.

__Jason
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

You can do it either way. I get my fire going and when the dome is about 30° - 40° under target I put the blower in the vent and get the stoker (or DigiQ) running.

Depending on what you use to light your lump there may be an initial high temperature while there is flame inside the egg, when that first burn dies out and the temperature drops, it will again begin to rise. That second rise is where I use the stoker/guru.

GG
  • thailandjohn
    thailandjohn Posts: 952
    I just fired up my Egg with the Stoker

I have been using the Stoker about 3 years and I always start this way

1. Load lump larger pieces on bottom

2. Start fire with a paper towel with soaked with a little cooking oil in center of lump with a few small pieces of lump touching towel

3. Turn on Stoker, and when a few of the small pieces catch, put in place setter and close lid

4. The Stoker will do the rest

5. When the temp hits target, turn Stoker off, put in meat with temp monitoring probes inserted then turn Stoker back on

While I have been typing this, the temp has risen to 175 on it's way to 250

I can go to sleep tonight and never have to worry

When I do want to check temps, I do this on my IPad