Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plate setter

Options
ZINA
ZINA Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my xl egg for approx. 1 month. A coupld of weeks ago I cooked an entire dinner on the egg. From appetizer(pizza), dinner (smoked turkey, sidedish (zuc casserole), and dessert (apple pie). I had to cook the pie first,casserole, pizza, then the turkey, because I was the turkey. Is there a trick to changing the direction of the plate setter? It was very difficult when the temp gets up to 500 for pizza!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Orka mitts are rated to 450° and if you move fast you will not get burnt.
    IMG_0327.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I'm with RRP.
    The Orka mitts are nice. They also come in a longer size. I also know they come in at least 2 levels of thickness. I have two pair of red ones that are thicker than my others claiming 600 degrees. Will give you a few extra seconds moving around a hot platesetter.
    Thick, leather welding gloves are also a common choice.
    Both will get hot holding onto a platesetter given some time. Always plan your move or flip before you start and have a safe place in mind to bail if things go wrong. They can also get hot enough to burn after you set down the platesetter with carry through heat on the gloves.
    The XL platesetter is very large and heavy compared to the Large BGE platesetter. Always be extra careful.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    RRP recommended these to us and we love them at our house. They are the best gloves we've ever used. (Thanks, Ron!)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    Options
    I'll look at the Okra mitts. I'm currently looking at the Grillglove, has anyone tried these.?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use the Pit Mitt. Much more versatile since they have individual finger holes. BGE also has Pit Mitts that say Big Green Egg on them and are rated to 475. I have lifted off 650 plus degree CI grates with these gloves before but you only get 5-10 seconds at that heat or you will feel it.

http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-Ultimate-Barbecue-Mitt/dp/B003FZAVZ6
  • ZINA
    Options
    Tried that burned right thru them. Thinking I need a pair of welding gloves!
  • ZINA
    Options
    Thanks Darian....where can you purchase the Orka mitts?
  • ZINA
    Options
    Wow. I will have to get my husband to do this again. I am only 4'11. It takes me longer than 5 seconds just to get hold of the plate setter. Where can you purchase these gloves?
  • ZINA
    Options
    Where can I purchase these gloves?
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    Options
    Good to know thanks. I now use welding gloves but they sure get dirty...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Big green egg sells them and if you just want the Pit Mitt gloves then google it and they are all over (Amazon is the cheapest). If you stay below the 475 rating of the gloves you have longer than the 5-10 seconds I was just saying if you work quickly you can go above the 475 rating. I have picked up glowing red pieces of lump before with these gloves. The only bad thing is they don't come as a pair you have to buy 2.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i would get a second egg :laugh: i dont own a platesetter but my question is, why flip it, i think i could do all those cooks without changing a thing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ZINA
    Options
    Everything I cooked that day, except for the turkey required the legs to be down. Directions for cooking the turkey requires the legs to be up.
  • guzzijason
    guzzijason Posts: 143
    Options
    Yep, I use welding gloves. And quickness!

__Jason
  • ZINA
    Options
    Thanks I will look on Amazon.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    was never good with directions :) if it fit the other way their isnt much reason to flip it. you may want to see if there is a welding supply in the area, they have gloves that will handle more heat than what you will find in one of the big box stores, avoid those made of pig skin, they shrink up when they hit the heat

004-8.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Just cook everything with the legs up and you will be happy. Like RRP says, though, ORCA mits are great for getting a hot platesetter out if you need to switch to direct. ;)
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    ZINA, I got ours on Amazon.com. I didn't realize that they didn't come as a pair, so I had to reorder another single glove. I got the black 17" gloves.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    I found leather "Jim Beam" marked gloves on Amazon for around $18.00. I had the same issue happen in that I had to reverse the place setter. The gloves were good, but i had to ground the place setter and then pick it back up to place it back in the egg. Like the others have said, plan the move and have bail out plan worked out in event the lava :evil: burns through the gloves.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I found these interesting.

Zetex Gloves

Zetex gloves are said to take the heat better than regular welding gloves. Zetex is supposed to be a high temperature Kevlar. Zetex and Zetex Plus are both made of textured fiberglass. Zetex Plus High Heat Resistant Gloves allow you to handle hot items. They are rated for 1500 to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. These have been used to pick up fused glass to place it in a mold, and to bend glass.

Read more: http://www.glass-fusing-made-easy.com/high-temperature-gloves.html#ixzz1THPJyzsg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • RRP
    Options
    Thanks - that's interesting - I see Amazon has some Zetex rated to 1,000° for $51 for a pair. Not really that much more expensive than a pair of Orkas.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I would love to see a BBQer review those gloves. I have blue silicone gloves (perhaps Orca, not sure, got them at Costco) and find the rubbery material too treacherous to use with heavy items.

Just the other day I was doing a cleaning burn in my Egg and realized that I simply had no way to turn over the super-hot pizza stone.

Just today I burned my fingertip removing a hot dish from the Egg with crummy Harbor Freight welder's gloves.

I'd love better gloves!
  • RRP
    Options
    I've been doing some more research and comparison of the Zetex gloves and have found several points to watch for when evaluating them. I have seen references and terms of:

- short duration exposure is quite common, but never defined

- ratings from poor to good abrasion resistance

- warnings of limited dexterity

- temperature ratings indicate the highest protection is on the back of the glove and the lowest is the palm, but never are the fingers mentioned!

I have a gut feeling I'm going to be pursuing adding some Zetex gloves to my toy box - just not certain which pair yet!
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Let us know if you get some Zetex gloves and how you like them. You steered us right on the Orca gloves and we love them, but would be nice to have a pair of gloves that buys even more time (even if we don't necessarily need it!!) than the Orcas.
    Kelley 
  • RRP
    Options
    Will do, Kelley, and thanks for not thinking I had steered you wrong!
  • privaterooster
    Options
    Leather welding gloves. You can handle a 750* plate setter w/o a problem
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    I'll check a proper welding supply house--Harbor Freight's finest welding gloves were no match for a 400F casserole dish!
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    MO Mule wrote:
    I'm currently looking at the Grillglove, has anyone tried these.?

Have the Grillgloves, they SUCK bad. Their customer service dept is even WORSE than the gloves.