Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT - Chicken Soup

smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,037
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found a deal on bone in chicken breasts. Sliced off the breasts and simmered the bones. Some of it, the finicky dog will have mixed in with his food. The breasts were ground and I made ground chicken meat balls. I call them ACTs Atomic Chicken Turds.

The broth and chicken pieces turned into soup, my first time. We had two days of sunshine and it is back to rain and cool weather..

014-30.jpg
Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX
·

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    OOOOHHHHWEEEE! I cannot wait til the end of October when it will FINALLY get cool enough here to even THINK about soup.Chicken soup is a Fave! ;)
    ·
  • TurkTurk Posts: 114
    How about the reciepe
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,960
    Sweatin', eatin' sliced tomatos, but damn that chicken soup looks good right now! B)

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,037
    I didn't follow a recipe.

I put the left over bones in a pot full of water and simmered until the meat started to fall off. Took the bones out and pulled the meat. Left the stock in the fridge overnight, then scooped out the fat. Added carrots, onions, celery, parsley, pulled meat, and 2 cups of rice. Brought to a boil, and added one cube of chicken broth. Simmered for two hours, and it was good! :laugh:
    ·
    Thanks Botch! We will be lucky if we end up with any tomatos this year...they are the size of marbles right now...
    ·
    Thanks Hoss! Can't wait to try some pulled chicken soon...
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    That's an impressive pot of soup - especially for first time. It looks delicious! :)
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,611
    Scott:

That looks DELICIOUS!

Those of us on the West Coast are so lucky right now weather-wise, when we can even bear looking at simmering water.

I haven't made that soup in years, but I remember using a piece of celery root in it, not something you find in the market easily. It gave it the old-timey flavor that took me back to my Grandma's homemade chicken soup, and she was from Central Europe. She even made her own noodles, stretching the dough out on the kitchen table, rolling it up, and slicing it into noodles.

Maybe they have celery root in the fall. If you ever see it, try it! You could probably freeze it till you need it.
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
    I'll try and find some celery root! And next time make some noodles home made noodles! Of course I will have to grow my my own carrots, celery, slaughter the chicen, etc. I guess scratch is relative! :laugh:
    ·
  • Judy MayberryJudy Mayberry Posts: 1,611
    You are too funny! Celery root looks like turnip, kind of. I have no idea if it's from celery or not.
    Judy in San Diego
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Nothing better. Thats some nutritious healing food. :P
    ·
    Thank you Elizabeth!
    ·
    One daughter loved it, the other chose canned soup...ugh! :angry:
    ·
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That sounds and looks great Scott
    Even with this heat, I need some now :laugh:

Shane
    ·
  • Scott, try that next time with chicken bones that have been egged, as in spatcocked. You won't believe how a little bit of smokiness comes through in that broth.

Here in FL, soup is strictly a January thru March kinda thing, the rest of the year it's just too hot out!
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,779
    We just made a batch of vichyssoise and also like gazpacho in the summer.
    ·
    Thanks Shane, leftovers were fantastic...
    ·
    Faith, thanks for the suggestion, will do for sure! Summer just hasn't settled in here, so soup is still on the menu. :laugh:
    ·
    Chicken soup was easy, those two sound a bit more involved! :)
    ·