Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first BGE meal

Sounds2Good
Sounds2Good Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first meal prepared on the BGE was a success! I made the Cinco de Mayo fajitas from the recipe on this forum, using skirt steaks purchased from Cosco. These were larger than the 2/3 pound called for in the recipe, so I doubled the ingredients for the meranade. Unfortunately the steaks weren't as tender as I would've liked, we should have put even more lime juice in the meranade. Anyway, I started by cooking Italian green peppers grown in my wife's garden, plus an onion in a cast iron skillet with some avacado oil in the egg for about seven minutes. The egg was around 600 degrees when I opened it (according to my dinner guest). After the vegetables were cooked nicely, I put the two steaks on the grate and cooked them for about four minutes per side. The BGE's thermometer was around 550 degrees at this point. The steaks came out slightly more done than medium rare but not quite "classic" medium. I cut the steaks into thin pieces served them on flour tortillas with the vegetables and guac. Everyone was happy, including me. The steaks were definitely smokier in flavor than they would've been if prepared on my Weber gas grill. No surprise, but very welcome.

The only glitches were the thermometer on the egg didn't seem to respond right away. It was reading 200 degrees but the egg was throwing off so much heat I knew that couldn't be correct. Opening the egg proved this, the blast of heat coming off the flaming lump was a surprise. The BGE will get MUCH hotter than the Weber! (So, I went and got some grill gloves that I usually don't need when cooking on the gas grill)

Anyway, the thermometer soon was responding showing the temp to be above 650 degrees.

BTW, i used BGE lump and we lit it using the alcohol method. This seems to me to be the best way to get lump going nicely in a hurry.

OK, this was way too long, I promise not to be so verbose in the future!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    During high cooks you want to "Burp" the egg. Just open the lid up and down a few inches before opening it all the way.

I use to use a electric starter when starting out. Works good. A MAPP torch is a nice quick way. Can go extreme with the weed torch. Not for the faint of heart! For lump you can with Royal Oak lump wood. It's a good lump and it's the exact same stuff you have in your green bag.

Congrats on the first cook!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Sounds like a great first meal :)

Shane
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Sounds like a great first time out. Glad it went well except the delay on the thermometer.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • IQ2
    IQ2 Posts: 37
    Sounds tasty, love that kind of food. Now that you have your first cook under your belt, what will your next try be? Welcome, you are going to have a great time with your egg.
    Paula West Texas
  • I think I'm going to tackle a slower cook next, pork ribs, probably spare ribs or similar. I'm itching to give my new V-rack a spin.
  • Mine had a similar issue at one point but what I didn't realize was that I missed the fact that my thermometer had completely wrapped around. It had gotten so hot that it went all the way around.

Welcome to the forum! I have learned a lot here in the last couple of weeks.

Chad
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)