Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs on the Egg Last Night (A Few ?)

EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay so I did the Thighs last night at 400 and I have a few questions.

1.) My skin wasn't crispy what would be the best way to make the skin crispy?

2.) I didn't really notice a smoky flavor in the chicken or the beans I put on the grill. I used 2 chunks of Cherry Wood.

Was it just too short of a cook to notice it?

I will say this that the thighs I even somewhat overcooked but they were just so juicy it didn't even really matter.
Large BGE

Comments

• mikes_96
    mikes_96 Posts: 5
    I cook my thighs lower then that, about 250-275. They obviously take longer but WOW they are slammin. A little Lawreys seasoned salt cracked pepper I start them skin down then turn em about half way through. Skin is crispy. I have been using wood chips, not chunks, seem to get a more even smoke over short cooks because they spread out more. Good thing about thighs, they're cheap. Keep experimenting. :woohoo:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I'm in the same boat Eddie, I need to get the skin crispy. I have this lofty image of the skin that's like cracklins but the meat tender and moist. Not easy. I've been experimentin with a dusting of corn starch and that helps. I've cooked at 350 degrees grid level, direct on a raised grid, flipping often to brown up both top and bottom of the thighs. Skin somewhat crispy at the very top of thighs, the rest rubbery after taking them to 190 internal, a little over done. Great flavor but the skin is not right. I read that removing the skin and scraping the underlying fat off then reapplying the skin is what the experts do to get the skin crispy. That's my next try.
    Try more wood mixed in with the lump charcoal for more smoke flavor.

Good luck.
  • DodgerMi
    DodgerMi Posts: 5
    It's east to get crispy skin on thighs. I start at just under 400 dome temp on 2" raised grid. Skin side up for 20 minutes, adjust spacing of thighs only once. Then turn with skin side down for about 25 minutes. Juice will pool up on top of the skin free side when they are done. If you haven't put BBQ sauce on, you have crispy thighs. I take them off and rest them for 4-5 minutes on crackled tin foil and let the juice reabsorb then turn them and serve sauce on the side or sauce them then. I use Dizzy pig.