Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel Rust?

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Question. Had my BGE for a few weeks and my daisy wheel looks like it's rusty. It rained last night but didn't think it would rust. Is this normal?
Large BGE

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Eddie welcome to the forum. The dmft is made of cast iron so yes it is normal for it to rust when left out in the weather. Consider using your rain cap and put your dmft in the egg after the cook. I know there are other other way to treat this problem but, this is one way. ;) Tim
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Yes, especially if you leave it on the Egg all the time. I put mine inside the Egg immediately after I take the meat off and replace it with the rain cap. The still hot Egg will burn off some of the crud that might collect on the metal top, while the rain cap will more quickly snuff out the fire and leave a very nice dry area where rust will be considerably delayed.

Just use a wire brush on it when it gets rusty and oil it like you would a cast iron pot. Or you can just paint it black. I did mine today.

It will get cruddy again from grease and rust. If it's from grease that means you are enjoying your Egg.

Spring "Getting A Little Rusty Under The Wings" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Clean it and spray it with Pam.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    Throw it IN the coals when finished cooking, remove the next morning and spray with PAM as Phil mentioned.
    DMo