Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

caltronics with high temp ultra copper gasket

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and it virtually has no gasket. I have been using it this way for over a year and this past Spring/Summer I have been gathering my supplies. I got a new gasket from our beloved JupterJim (thanks Jim) and I got some high temp ultra copper gasket maker from the parts house (three tubes).

I'm glad I got the gasket maker because when you set the dome on the base you see all the high and low spots in the base and it's bad.

So, now I have taken this large egg down to the garage and took the dome off. I'll leave the base in the nest while I do the job. After I took the dome off I cleaned it and the base. The base had a lot of waves in it and that is why I'm doing this job. It was getting harder for my egg to go out.

Here is the base.

002-3.jpg

Here is my dome.

001-3.jpg

Now here is my base with a layer of gasket maker and the gasket and more gasket maker.

005-1.jpg

Here is the dome. For some reason the color of the gasket is different in these two pictures. :S

006-1.jpg

Jim had sent me a gasket for the base only so I squeezed out a thick layer of gasket maker almost a whole tube to the base.

I applied almost the whole tube of high temp ultra copper gasket maker to the base plus the caltronics gasket with adhesive to the top of it. During the curing process I carefully placed the dome on top the base just like it would go if it was put together. The next day I took the dome off and trimmed the edges on the base where the gasket and gasket maker squeezed out. Now I put a thin layer of high temp ultra copper gasket maker to the dome and let it cure for 24 hours. Next I applied a thick layer of gasket maker to the dome and base rubbing it into the caltronics gasket real good.

Now I applied another layer of gasket maker to both the dome and base and put two layers of cellophane to the base and carefully set the dome on the base in the same position it would be bolted in and I applied pressure so it would mold and cure snugly. Hopefully when the gasket maker cures the cellophane will come off. :S

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Here is a young ground hog I trapped and hauled off so it won't be in my yard. I still need to get two more. Cute little feller ain't he?

004-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

To be continued

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Look'n good Tim. What did you use to clean the ceramics?

Kent
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I will be right behind you. I am finally replacing what is left of my gasket this year. I'm glad ya'll are all trying it first so I can learn!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Hey 2fat!! I'm gonna report you to the SPCA!! Put that little fella in your living room and set him free!!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Probably shouldn't have but I put some paint thinner on a rag and let it soak for a short while then wiped it clean. I will need to do a small fire with out food the first go around. I didn't let it get all over just the rag. :blush:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Chris, I'll let you know how it goes. I just hope the caltronics self adhesive don't come away from the ultra copper. :S
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Jack! :) I took him off the hill to a near by farming community not 5 miles from here. Plus I just caught the other one and took it off to the same place. Now we have one to go. :woohoo:

I would love to talk to you some time Jack. I bet you have a strong dialect. ;)

What nationality are you if you don't mind me asking?
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Well, I got some French, Irish, German & Registered Louisiana Coon Ass in me, along with what got over the fence last. I am frequently asked if I have any PITA in my lineage......that's Pain In The Arse for the uninformed.

Now, are you sure you were humane to those pests? Tell the truth, now.

And let me know how that gasket job came out. I'm gonna face it soon myself.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Not sure why you need to do a burn without cooking...

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I'm not a Coon Ass but, I spent enough time in Eunice to love the people. I hope to visit again someday. ;)

No ground hog was harmed lately I started a relocating program and showed him off to the neighbor kids first.

My gasket post will resume tomorrow. I have to let the ultra copper cure for 24 hours. Then I need to get the cellophane off the base and dome. I will put the egg back together and fire it up. I have one concern. My caltronics gasket has it's own adhesive and I'm worried if it fails it may come loose from the base. If it does I believe I can fix it back. We'll see but, I think it will be fine. ;) I will go back to the same post for the follow up. Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I'll smell in the egg to see but, it did pick up an off smell when I was cleaning the gasket surface. Hopefully it will evaporate. I'm hoping that I will get a near perfect fit when I get the dome fixed back to the base. Fingers crossed. :S
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I will come back to this post tomorrow some time. ;)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

That's going to be interesting to see.

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    I can't wait to try the dollar bill test tomorrow. I'm thinking I won't be able to pull it through because it will be so tight. :lol:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The cellophane I was worried about removing from the base and dome came off very easy. ;)

Here are a few close up pic's.

002-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

I know I have a gap in the fire box and fire ring. I took some foil and stuffed it all around the fire box and fire ring to help with the air flow. Not that I had a problem but, I wanted to see if it made a difference. :S

006-2.jpg

I then put the dome back on making sure it passes the dollar bill test. I must say I have a very tight fit all the way around. ;) This large egg is so tight now with the new gasket I think it will come to temp fast and most likely snuff out the fire in a timely manner. Now I will start cooking on this egg to see how the new gasket really works.

007-2.jpg