Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dipping sauce request

Options
Pepe Le Pew
Pepe Le Pew Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We've been invited to a dinner in Houston. I have been asked to bring xxxxx xxxxx, which is an appetizer, I think.

I found a recipe for Panko Crusted Shrimp Lollipops with Ginger Soy Caramel Dip that looks edible, but I'd also like to take another dipping sauce to show them that we're not a bunch of hicks in Buckhorn.

Does anybody have a good dip recipe?

Thanks.

Comments

• Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    Thanks, Richard. Do you think that would work well with a delicate fried shrimp on a skewer? If so, I'll try it.
  • ScreaminHogsBBQ
    Options
    I would suggest a nice Thai peanut butter sauce. It is always a fan favorite. It is a great dip for virtually any meat. Really good on shrimp also.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There you are... good to see you back posting Richard.

Kent
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    Bingo ! That looks like it will go well with shrimp. I found a recipe that looks good:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/the-best-thai-peanut-sauce/detail.aspx

Thanks.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tequila-cocktail-sauce/detail.aspx

This looks interesting and gets great reviews. There are others on that site that also look good. Just search for dipping sauce then sort by rating. Some of the top ones only have a few reviews, but do look good. One shrimp one too. Otherwise there are a few that are pretty usable for shrimp. Good luck. I almost use that site exclusively. If it has a number of reviews and gets 4.5 stars plus it's always a winner for me. Never fails.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/435/Bonefish-Grills-Bang-Bang-Shr108368.shtml

Something like this may also be good. Had something similar on Saturday at a Japanese sushi restaurant. It's like the bang bang shrimp from bonefish grill. They are pretty good. I think I may try this recipe. Yum.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    It would be a great shrimp dipping sauce IMHO. If you do not want spicy back off on the chile powder.
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    Wow. I didn't know you could sort on rating. That's fantastic ! A lot of my recipes have come from allrecipes.com. They have some good stuff.

Thanks. I'll be using that feature a lot in the future.
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    I will make my "lollipops" out of shrimp, chicken, zuchinnis, scallops, and whatever, and have sort of a Rijsttafel of dipping sauces. I'll use all that have been suggested here, and any more that come along.

Thanks! This is going to be fun. :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi, Tex. I guess I am not too much of a hick as I had to google the term you used... this is how you spell it for the people like me that don't know what you are talking about - "hors d'oeuvre". (And I do have to look that up everytime I have to spell it out.) I just call them appetizers!

Good luck with your sauces, have fun at the party!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Tex:

I was glad to see you didn't know what the name of that appetizer meant. At first I thought your handle of the cartoon skunk was right on...then I realized you didn't exactly know what it was.

I enjoy the usual good-old-boys' plays on words, but this one is really offensive to me. It's a long stretch from "oeuvres" to ovaries. It's like a sweet little lady telling you to bring Pecan Crusted Cheese Testicles. Makes as much sense.

Still, I love a good joke. This one is not funny.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    I'm sorry, Judy. It's a well known slang expression I've heard in mixed company for many years (even at church). Still, if it is offensive to you, I apologize.

I will xxx it out in my original post. You might want to ask Florida Grilling Girl to do the same.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Two sauces I almost always make when I prepare shrimp:

sriracha cocktail sauce.
    garlic & ginger butter sauce

good luck at the dinner!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    That's very kind of you, Tex. Maybe West Coast churches are different...wouldn't fly here.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    It's like a sweet little lady telling you to bring Pecan Crusted Cheese Testicles.
    I know what you mean, Judy. We probably wouldn't use the word "t.st.cl.s" in church here, either.

Thanks for your colorful language, and the contributions you make to serious inquiries.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tex, you are new here. We get serious inquiries all the time from newbies like you asking this kind of stuff. I stand behind Judy Mayberry as she is a thoughtful, giving forum member. Her remarks to you in this thread only remind us all that this is a family friendly forum and while the word "testicles" is not considered "colorful" language, the word you used in your original unedited post is.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Pepe Le Pew
    Options
    And you didn't have a problem with it in that you even repeated the term. Not until your friend took issue. Now, all of a sudden, you seem offended too.

Yes, I am new, but I already see that this is a closed knit community. I think I had a lot to contribute to the forum. As new as I am, I already posted a recipe ... and I haven't seen anyone else do that in my tenure. I have seen that someone said that they would email their recipe to their friend, but not publish it to everyone.

This will be my last post, and I won't read any replies that may come. I'm sure they will be as nasty as Judy's was.

Ciao.
  • ScreaminHogsBBQ
    Options
    I belong to 3 other BBQ websites and I contribute heavily to one in particular. I just joined this site because my team just bought an Egg specifically for chicken when we are competing. I have lurked off and on for a month or so. We saw a few other teams using them for this purpose and they did well.

That being said, it is fairly common knowledge (from what people say in other forums) that this forum is a tight knit community that are into cliques for the most part (heck reading the threads on here for a month or so you can easily see that). I knew that before joining, but I'm not here to make friends (would be nice), but to gain experience on the Egg. Even an old veteran like me needs help with this Egg (we cook on a Klose and a smaller Gator Pit). I have a lot of advice to give concerning BBQ and techniques, but if the old guard here treats new guys like Tex this way, then I will just lurk and email my advice to people.

Probably better that way anyway.

By the way Tex, I know you said you will not read the responses, but I will email you that Thai Peanut Butter recipe. It isn't a secret recipe. My wife created it and my team has won a People's Choice award with it (Chicken Satay with this sauce).
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I was not offended at all, just needed reminding that this is a family friendly forum, Tex, and that is all that Judy Mayberry did.

I certainly hope that if you are a recipe contributing forum member, you will decide to come back and post your recipes. I still wish you good luck with your sauces as originally intended.

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Excellent idea. This dish would go perfect with a good peanut sauce. Now I'm craving some satay and peanut sauce.

I see you are new. Well I see no one gave you a greeting so I will (I didn't get one either when I was new). Welcome and I hope you change your mind and contribute. Just ignore the drama and attention seekers.
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You are correct about the cliques here in the EGG® world. However they are not nearly as bad as on the BBQ forum.

I've seen way more venom spewed on that forum than anywhere else and sometimes there venom spills out to real life and causes folks problems in real life.

We'd love to have you share some of your BBQ secrets or techniques, everyone here is open to learning most new things. You can also learn quite a bit from the folks on here. There are even a couple of folks here who I think have competed once or twice.

Seriously though, enjoy yourself here and learn and share.