Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Al Capone copycat

Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had taken a small pork roast out of the freezer the other day for Sunday's dinner. I saw Bobby R's post about an Al Capone stuffed roast he got from his butcher. Here is his original post:
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1126471&catid=1#

Thought I would give it a try. Picked up salami, cheese and sausage at the store. Put the sausage on first, then chopped black olives, salami and Asiago cheese. Took pictures with the good camera for a change, building the roast, but the connection to the USB cord is broke! So back to the handy phone. Here it is stuffed, tied and rubbed with Richard Fl's Indian River pepper blend & spice blend.
IMAG0650.jpg

IMAG0651.jpg

Also put on fingerling potatoes & Vidalia onion with EVOO sprinkled with Death by Garlic and the pepper blend again.
IMAG0649.jpg

Put the roast on the egg at 350 and let roast for about 45 minutes.
IMAG0652.jpg

Off the egg and sliced up.
IMAG0653.jpg

Plated with roasted asparagus. This was a VERY tasty dish! I felt the roast got a little overcooked. I was taking the temp often and the sausage just wasn't done. Next time I think I'll brine the pork first. But I'll definitely be cooking this again!
IMAG0654.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Gave it your best lady! Better luck nest time. Looks good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,760
    Dayum I gotta try that!

Thanks for the torment! :ermm: :laugh:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Thanks for the idea, Teresa. Looks good from here.
  • Fluffyb
    Thanks Molly, the flavor was out of the world. Just a bit over done for me.
  • Fluffyb
    It was very good, I highly recommend it. Might throw some roasted pepper in next time.
  • Fluffyb
    Thank Bobby R for the idea! Had never heard of it before.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    That looks great. I saw the original post and it looked great. I have this bookmarked ton try. Thanks for the test cook. Maybe have to precook the sausage a little. Thanks definitely going to try this.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Diffinantly on the to do list when I get some time this winter. Really nice job. What temp did you pull it at? I'm like you and had reather have it a little under done as over. 135 and I'm happy with most pork Thermapen. ;)
  • Fluffyb
    I usually pull a pork loin at 135, but I thought the sausage should go to a higher temp, so that took the pork up to close to 150. Looking at Bobby R's post, his pork loin was the end that has a little more marbling and redder flesh. But I will try it again.
  • Fluffyb
    Tim, that was another thought I had, to pre cook the sausage just a bit. Worth trying.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Glad to hear it came out good. Pork is always a tricky food to get cooked yet still moist. I personally am in favor of it being a little under cooked, much easier to reheat anyway. I will try this soon I like pork. Thanks.
  • Bobby R
    Bobby R Posts: 17
    Teresa - Glad you gave it a try! It looks like you did a great job and I'm sure it still was very tasty. Mine turned out a bit too overcooked for my tastes too because I wanted to make sure the Italian Sausage was done.

I saw another "pre-made" Al Capone Roast in the butcher's case last night, but I was in too much of a rush and the meat counter was too busy for me to chat. I plan on talking to the butcher next time I'm in to get more details on the exact cut of pork he uses, where that wonderful marbling came from etc. I'll keep you posted!

Bobby R.
    Milwaukee, WI
  • Fluffyb
    Thanks Bobby! I buy whole pork loins from Costco and cut them into chops & roasts. Next time I get one, I think I may try it again with the "redder" end of the loin, where it is not quite as lean. Look forward to hearing what the butcher says.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Yes, Bobby, please do post whatever you learn from the meat guy; it would be real interesting to know!
    TIA

:)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,025
    Holy Crap, that looks awesome!