Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Daisy Wheel Rust?

EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
edited 2:43PM in EggHead Forum
Question. Had my BGE for a few weeks and my daisy wheel looks like it's rusty. It rained last night but didn't think it would rust. Is this normal?

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,675
    mine is two years old and has zero rust. 'course, once I figured out I don't need it for most cooks, I use it only for lo n slow cooks anyway. even when I DO use it, as often as not, I forget to store it in the egg after a cook. been rained on MANY times!! still no rust.

maybe you could oil it and put it inside the still hot egg for a couple of cooks.

Everybody knows there’s three acceptable condiments for a hot dog; there’s mustard, onions and stagnant cart water! That’s IT!   ... Jon Stewart

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jostheimjostheim Posts: 53
    Easy fix. Fire up the egg and put the daisy wheel in the egg. Get it good and hot, then pull the daisy wheel out.

Once it has cooled some, take a paper towel saturated with vegetable oil and rub down the wheel. You just reseasoned the cast iron and the rust should disappear. You may want to season it (do this process) every once and a while.

Alternatively throw the daisy wheel in the oven on the clean cycle. This technique works for any cast iron (at least everything I've tried).