Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New knife holders(pic hvy)

"Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
edited 5:27AM in EggHead Forum
After making one for my buddy Beli,I decided that I needed a few for myself,and my Shuns :) I couldn't get in touch with my black walnut supplier today,so I had to settle for some red oak that I had laying around.I started with a 1/2" x 4" x 5 ft board.I roughly shaped them on my bandsaw....

I finished shaping them with the belt sander(no pix)
Then I used the miter saw and bandsaw to make the knife holder pieces......

I then used my drill press to route the knife openings in the holders...then assembled them ;)

Everything fits well...

Now I just need to send them over to the finish shop for some sanding and urethane :pinch: I'll post the finished pix in a couple,few weeks.Thx for looking B)

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Beautiful work Doug!
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Thx Molly,unfortunatley that was the easy part :ohmy: :)
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511

I bet you are one of the token few that can cut nice square openings in drywall. :laugh:

Nice work on those babies ;)
    Thanks Adam,and oddly enough,I can cut drywall pretty good :laugh: ;)
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    not bad for a electrician :ermm: maybe I can make a couple out of concrete :whistle: :laugh:
  • Thos eare sharp sparky :whistle: No pun intended..
    Nice work

• JCinNVJCinNV Posts: 141
    I would give my corner lot in he!@! to be able make somthing like that, very nicely done and when finished they will be beautiful, :) :)
    HAHAHA,Thx pat.The concrete would prolly look great,just a little rough on the blades though :laugh:
    Thanks Matt :)
    Thanks JC,I can't wait to get the finish on them to see how they turn out :woohoo:
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Very nice.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    Thanks Tony ;)
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    Nice work, Doug.
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    Had you on the prayer list today, Molly. Good luck with the interview.
    Thanks Jack,I'm pretty happy with them so far :)
  • What kinda of knives thems looks like good cuts
    They're all Shuns.
    1)6" utility
    2)8" Chefs knife(Ken Onion)
    3)9" Bread knife
  • SlickSlick Posts: 382
    Beautiful work! I have two black walnut logs each with 6-8 inches of heartwood. If you are close to southeastern Ohio you can have one! I can't make sawdust!

• BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Buddy I've always said it you are topps!!! wish I had half your talent, those are some amazing knives & holders
    Thanks slick,but I have a closer source for the wood ;)
    Thanks Beli,I'm just glad that the prototype came out well for ya ;) Now I can't wait to get mine done :cheer:
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Those look great.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    Really nice. Mine just bang around in the drawer and get dull! :sick:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRPRRP Posts: 16,801
    Nice work and those look great. I wish I could convince my wife of soon to be 45 years that its safe to leave knives out in the kitchen. Instead she has some phobia so I have to revert to the ol' now you see them

and now you don't false drawer bottom trick.

This is just one of three such hiding places since my knife collection has grown since these pictures were taken.
    Dunlap, IL
    and who are you hiding the knives from?

from SANTA CLARA, CA

LOL - she watched one too many horror movies as a kid where the bad guy grabbed a butcher knife from the kitchen and made chop suey out of the whole family! :laugh:
    Dunlap, IL
    Thanks Doug,they should come in handy at the next fest :woohoo:
    :laugh: Thx ChokeOnSmoke,I try to be careful with my "good knives",but my other blades get treated like yours :lol:
    I like your "hide a knife" set-up there Ron,but I don't plan on keeping these out on display at home(young kids).The stands are mostly for when I cook outside at home or at a fest.These knives stay in a knife roll in my workshop to keep them safe from my wife :whistle: :ohmy:
    WOW! I never thought of it that way - gonna make a couple for class time - THANK YOU for the inspiration!

My wife's idea of a GREAT knife is an extremely dull one what won't cut hot butter! She can not get it that a dull knife is so unsafe IMO!
    Dunlap, IL