Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bear 007 ----- Molded Permatex Gasket Update?

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tim,

I was just having a conversation with a friend at the local brewpub about gaskets and showed him your post and method.

Just curious about how well that bad boy is holding up?

Cheers,

Joe

Comments

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Its doing really good, I burned up the felt on my small last night,I'm going to do the same on it. I'll post it again.
  • Glad to hear. Thanks for the update. I've been runnIng my large commando for about two years. Just too lazy to clean her up and put the nomex on.

Loved the idea of molding one as you did. I've got to believe that the Permatex provides a great cushioned feel when closing the lid.

Joe
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    That's one of the benefits, you can seal it really well. If you find a bad spot doing the dollar bill test you just cut it off the base in that area, and put more Permatex under it.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    mine's been on for eight years.... still working just fine.... rr
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Bear,
    Where did you come up with the exact dimension for your large gasket?

fc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Ray, I was wondering is there any cracking or pieces torn out of the silicone. Did you apply to both top and bottom and how thick is each layer?

I am going to install a silicone gasket today or tomorrow.

Kent
  • drmgc
    drmgc Posts: 2
    I don't know if anyone can help- but I bought my first egg recently and this weekend melted off part of the gasket. I was in the middle of cooking a couple of chickens and was using the plate setter. I took a utility knife and cut off the melted bits that were hanging dangerously in the opening. The rest of the gasket looks fine. I'm planning on getting a replacement gasket and my question is- should I replace the entire gasket, or only that portion that was damaged? Bigger question is why it melted- but I think I got the temperature too high when I was warming it up and it was only the second time I used the egg. So, I'm feeling my way around.

Thanks for any advice.
    Dennis
  • Dennis,

As you probably read above, I toasted my gasket a few months after acquiring my first egg.   Super hot sear on a couple of hot tubbed, 2 inch thick ribeyes.   The next day, my large was glued shut.  I put some newspaper wads under the charcoal grate and got her warmed back up, then used a putty knife to work my way from the hinge area forward until the dome came free.   

I just cleaned her up, removing all of the gasket material and then loosened up the lid side of the hinge, resetting it to flush and have never really looked back.   

I would be inclined to choose one of two solutions:

1.  Scrape the rest of the gasket off and go commando 

Or

2.  Decide upon a type of new gasket.  

Nomex, which BGE will usually provide for you once, 

Coltronics

Rutland

Permatex

There are a ton of posts detailing removal, cleaning and installation.  Search for "gasket" on the forum.  

Additionally, Fred in PA has a set of videos outlining gasket replacement on his company website at:

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/default.asp?m=0

I doubt you'd be happy with the results trying to locally patch gasket areas, but I'm sure it would work.

Cheers,

Joe
  • drmgc
    drmgc Posts: 2
    Joe,
    Thanks for the advice. I'll pick up the gasket this weekend and try and get a feel for my options when I can look at the egg and have some time to work on it. I just picked up an xl egg on Thursday, put it together that night and then tried it out this weekend. Didn't take long to have my first issue. Of course, I want to make pizza this weekend, so I think I'll pick up at lest two gaskets to have a spare around.

Thanks again
    Dennis
  • Gatorboy
    Gatorboy Posts: 2
    Where can you purchase Coltronic 395
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Talk about resurrecting a dead thread!!

I assume you meant Cotronics
    http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/fc_sleeving.htm

They have a minimum order so, unless you need a lot or know several folks who need some, it could be an expensive proposition. If this is for an egg gasket, consider Rutland.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut