Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOT really OT: cleaning soiled clothing

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last week I managed to soil two of my favorite white pieces of clothing I use in my BGE cooking class. I don't mean simple dirt or grease, but something food related or maybe even creosote. My wife has tried many of her stain release products but she's getting no where. BTW these stains were attacked as soon as I got home, so it wasn't like they got set. I've already ordered replacements, but surely some professionals here know a trick or two so I thank all in advance!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Biz. You need to do a Biz bucket treatment. Pretreat as much as you want and soak the item in the biz bucket for a few days, then wash. A friend told me about this years ago, and I have been using it ever since.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great question...

We've spent a lot of money and time on 'whiteners/cleaners' without very good results.

Hotels, motels, hospitals get their sheets sparkling white. It would be nice to know the what they use and or do to bring back the sparkle.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    hmmm, I'd never heard of that, but a big THANK YOU!

When I googled biz bucket I read where it said not to mix colors and I certainly understand that - but will this treatment damage embroidered work and silk screened clothing? If so we could probably isolate the stained areas so only they get treated.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    What I do is soak the stained area with hydrogen peroxide. Let it sit for 24 hours and then another 24 in a bath of warm water & Oxi-Clean power. Then a wash in Tide with the usual amount of Clorox bleach. If that doesn't do it, dye is up next!! 8 - )
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Oh dear, are you worried about your nylons?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    this works to lift the skunk off a dog

1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
    1/4 cup Baking Soda
    2 tbsp Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers.
    Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, because it will boil up like Vesuvius. We are, after all, making an oxygen generator. Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, because it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats. if you look up homemade oxy clean its water, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and maybe the soap. add some white vinegar and it should really fiz up to lift the stain used that to remove skunk off the house and hedges, yard smelled like a salad :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Ron, maybe you need to switch to Hawaiian pattern chef's coats? Heheheee.

Try this. Take a can of regular Coca Cola (not Diet Coke, or Pepsi) and pour it in your pulled por..... uh, I mean pour it into your washing machine, then wash as usual, with as low of a water setting as you can get away with. This is an old oilfield hand tip. All the laundry mats around here have dedicated "greaser" machines (for oily coveralls and such) and they will usually have a sign that mentions using Coke in each load.

BTW, Coke will also remove oil stains from your driveway and eat off that cruddy build-up on your trucks battery terminals.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • RRP, I have used Biz on white and colors. If you can, just soak the stained area. Oh, and I also add more Biz in the wash cycle. Good luck!

http://www.bizstainfighter.com/products/
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • try iron out. you can get it at local grocery stores. i don't know about the stitching though. you may want to read the warning label first. use this stuff outside though. it will stink up a laundry room.

i use it on my sons WHITE baseball pants and it gets the Georgia red clay stains out every time.

good luck!
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    Fels Naptha. It is a bar soap, near the detergents.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I do it all the time, RRP.........and my friendly dry cleaner has never missed removing anything from ink marks to grease stains in all the years we've been dealin with her. If it's worth saving, I'd try the local cleaner for their assessment of removal.
  • Try SimpleGreen. It's pretty safe. And has that good sassafras smell.