Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-OT

gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I've written before, I really like "hot tub" steaks. I've got a really simple sous-vide set up, and have been "hot-tubbing" things like whole chuck roasts, to very good effect.

Here's a link to how to do salmon in a sink full of hot water, and finish with a frying pan.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/86045/how-to-cook-salmon-sous-vide-in-your-kitchen-sink/

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    With malice toward none, that looks like something we ordered at one of those upscale cusine places, paid the rather pricey bill and left, wondering where we were really going to have dinner! Perhaps the process is worth trying, but I certainly would prepare a slightly LARGER portion!! 8 - )
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The dinners that chef usually cooks are 8 - 12 courses. So the portions are always modest.

The method he was showing would work for any budget. There are now "home kitchen" baths starting around $400, but the commercial ones start around $1000. I've rigged up my slow cooker with a controller, because filling the sink every hour trying to do a 3 lb chuck roast is no fun.

Speaking of upscale: My wife and I went to a pretty swank place for anniversary. For appetizer, I got the smoked goose paté. There was this little column of goose liver amid some garnishes on a great big plate. I'm thinking, "Hmm, could have gotten a couple of pounds of braunschweiger for the same price."

About half way thru, I'm thinking "I can't believe how rich this is! I need a half loaf of bread to spread this on." Could barely finish it.