Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

caltronics with high temp ultra copper gasket

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and it virtually has no gasket. I have been using it this way for over a year and this past Spring/Summer I have been gathering my supplies. I got a new gasket from our beloved JupterJim (thanks Jim) and I got some high temp ultra copper gasket maker from the parts house (three tubes).

I'm glad I got the gasket maker because when you set the dome on the base you see all the high and low spots in the base and it's bad.

So, now I have taken this large egg down to the garage and took the dome off. I'll leave the base in the nest while I do the job. After I took the dome off I cleaned it and the base. The base had a lot of waves in it and that is why I'm doing this job. It was getting harder for my egg to go out.

Here is the base.

002-3.jpg

Here is my dome.

001-3.jpg

Now here is my base with a layer of gasket maker and the gasket and more gasket maker.

005-1.jpg

Here is the dome. For some reason the color of the gasket is different in these two pictures. :S

006-1.jpg

Jim had sent me a gasket for the base only so I squeezed out a thick layer of gasket maker almost a whole tube to the base.

I applied almost the whole tube of high temp ultra copper gasket maker to the base plus the caltronics gasket with adhesive to the top of it. During the curing process I carefully placed the dome on top the base just like it would go if it was put together. The next day I took the dome off and trimmed the edges on the base where the gasket and gasket maker squeezed out. Now I put a thin layer of high temp ultra copper gasket maker to the dome and let it cure for 24 hours. Next I applied a thick layer of gasket maker to the dome and base rubbing it into the caltronics gasket real good.

Now I applied another layer of gasket maker to both the dome and base and put two layers of cellophane to the base and carefully set the dome on the base in the same position it would be bolted in and I applied pressure so it would mold and cure snugly. Hopefully when the gasket maker cures the cellophane will come off. :S

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Here is a young ground hog I trapped and hauled off so it won't be in my yard. I still need to get two more. Cute little feller ain't he?

004-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

To be continued

Comments