Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Lasagna from the BGE Cookbook

Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think some of you might have seen the chops recipe from the BGE cookbook I posted earlier this weekend. I found this at the same time and I am truly glad I did. Not only was it very delicious but it highlighted the true versatility of the egg. I am an admitted carnivore so when I said I wanted to make vegetable lasagna I think the wife was a little concerned that the heat had gotten to me. :lol: She may have been right! :) This was a bit of a labor of love as the recipe called for components that were full recipes themselves. So after about 3 hours of both of us cooking and another hour of baking and cooling we truly had the most delicious Vegetable Lasagna I have ever eaten.

All of the vegetables get grilled and I have pictures of most. There is yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, portabello mushrooms, spinach, and red peppers in the filling. There is a ricotta cheese mixture and a bechamel sauce and it is all topped with mozzarella cheese.

It begins with making the sauce and for this I grilled 2 pounds of roma tomatoes that were tossed in olive oil and seasoned well with salt and pepper.

Other_Misc%25252089.jpg

Those then are run through a food mill, a strainer would work to, to remove the pulp and seeds from the juice. That is simmered and reduced a bit and fresh thyme and a lot of basil is added. The sauce is ridiculously good and I will absolutely make that often and freeze some for future use.

Then all of the veges are treated much the same way. Tossed in olive oil and seasoned well with salt and pepper. I was tempted to eat the squash as it came off the grill it smelled so good.
Other_Misc%25252091.jpg

The spinach is quickly sauteed to wilt it and the grilled vege are cut into a large dice. This is tossed to mix and set aside for the assembly.
Other_Misc%25252092.jpg

The bechamel was still in the works, but here is some sauce in the bottom and everything else ready to be layered. The prunes and the apples do not go in the lasagna. :lol:
Other_Misc%25252093.jpg

Assembled and ready to go back on the egg for some indirect baking.
Other_Misc%25252094.jpg

About 45 minutes later we had this...
Other_Misc%25252095.jpg

It was now 9pm and dinner was long past. We had planned it that way anyway, but we were really tired too. It cooled and went into the fridge for tomorrow.

The plan was to reheat as needed and here is a couple shots of the cold cross section.
Other_Misc%252520100.jpg

Other_Misc%252520101.jpg

The sauce was reheated and went on the plate and each peice was reheated and placed on top the sauce. A few of the finished product.
Other_Misc%252520103.jpg

Other_Misc%252520102.jpg

Other_Misc%25252098.jpg

Really some very tasty stuff and really something that will get made early in the day when there is nothing else to do. :)

Thanks for looking!
Juju
Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com

Comments