Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ever try to pull a stone cold butt?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I finally got around to pulling that 211° turbo butt I found at 7 AM Thursday morning. It had been in the refrig in one piece ever since. I swear it was rock hard and very "un-pullable"!

Sooooo, I wrapped it back up in the foil, poured some apple juice in and popped it in a 250° oven for 45 minutes. At that point is was still cool to slightly warm, but that made a world of difference in being "pullable".

I just thought I'd share this info.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Thanks, that may come in handy someday.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    I should have added that all I wanted to do was to pull it, package it and freeze it...obviously my method would not have worked for planning to serve it today. It was just enough to liquefy the grease and limber up the meat tissue.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I would have eaten it for breakfast on Thursday, when it WANTED to be eaten. Once a butt cools off, pulled or not, it's so so at best. No matter how you reheat it.

I do intend to pull just one meal's worth next time though, and leave the rest whole. Hopefully, reheating a big (whole, foiled) chunk, and then pulling, will be better than reheating an already pulled butt. Can't be worse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    It turns to mush when you chop it :ermm: :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: B)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Those 4 I cooked last Sunday.I pulled 2 and froze 2 whole.I like frozen whole then reheated better.Still not as good as when first cooked but better than ANY I have eaten that has been reheated after it was pulled.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    thx, hoss. :P

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I did but my mother in law slapped me :woohoo:
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Ron, Hope your doing alright. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    That ain't right. I got a visual. :woohoo: