Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BEET IT.

HossHoss Posts: 14,587
edited 11:39AM in EggHead Forum
Roasted some beets.First time to try them roasted.They are OK.What are some good dishes to use roasted beets in? I'm thinkin a Roasted beet salad with crumbled goat cheese,toasted pine nuts and a red wine vinegarette.Ant thoughts?

100_4282.jpg

The greens.They are bitter.
100_4283.jpg

100_4285.jpg

Was gonna egg some sweet tater sticks but got busy peeling the beets and forgot the sweet taters til they burned.Threw them out. :(

100_4284.jpg

100_4286.jpg
·

Comments

• GhostlightGhostlight Posts: 23
    Slice em up and serve them on a burger w/ a fried egg (just like they do down under)!
    ·
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Hey Hoss, I just grow em for the greens, I love fresh beet greens, doing them tonight actually, don't find them bitter at all.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That's interesting.Thanks. :)
    ·
    I think you are supposed to pick them when they are small.These were just salvaged from the mature beets.I think I'm gonna try sauteing them in bacon grease with garlic,sugar and shallots.
    ·
  • GhostlightGhostlight Posts: 23
    NP. Check this link:

http://www.girlcooksworld.com/2011/06/aussie-beet-burger.html

BTW - Had a side of diced roasted beets w/ dinner last night. Simple w/ just a bit of Salt & Pepper.
    ·
    Thanks!
    ·
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,400
    Put some pinneapple head on them, you'll dig them then.
    Pickled beets, and yes, beet salad. You are on the right thinking of cheese and nuts. Asiago and walnuts, also. A nice fresh made vinagartee.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
    Thanks Molly.They were OK,just not the POP I was expecting. :S
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,383
    Hoss, this from Dame Judith... VERY good just roasted (all I've tried so far). Adding bleu cheese sounds GREAT though!

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1048124&catid=1
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
    Thanks! :)
    ·
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    I've only tried cooking beets on the Egg once and that was because it was part of the "On Our Grills 4 Ingredient Challenge" thing I do each month. Otherwise they would never have gotten in my shopping cart :laugh:

Mine were just okay, too, so I can't help you on recipes.

I checked my favorite book, The Flavor Bible and it pairs beets with salty cheeses (blue, cambozola, goat, etc, butter, chives, lemon, dijon mustard and honey. Not sure if that helps any, it is still beets, ha ha.
    Knoxville, TN
    ·
    THANKS! :)
    ·
  • GirlyEggGirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Three words...BALSAMIC GLAZED BEETS! I make them at almost every Eggfest I've been to... including next week at Pittsburgh! Tastes like candy due to the sugar in the beets!!

Here's a link to my recipe http://girlyegggourmet.blogspot.com/2011/06/girlyegg-gourmet-takes-on-atlanta.html?m=1
    ·
    Thank you! :)
    ·
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I love them in a salad like you and Molly mentioned. I put crumbled blue cheese, walnuts and a nice balsamic vinegrette. But putting GirlyEgg's recipe on my to due list!
    ·
    Thanks.I'm keepin her recipe too! :)
    ·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    I can't improve upon that Hoss...looks mighty fine!
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·
    Thanks Tony.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    Hoss,

Borscht. Polish stle with nothing but beets and garlic. Keep adding beets til the soup is like syrup. Russian style with beef, onions and cabbage.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·