Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lighting the lump

Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
edited 6:21PM in EggHead Forum
I'm a relatively new Egger and have been using cubes to start the lump. Well, I figured with as much lighting I've been doing the annual cost of cubes was going to be a small fortune. :) I was in Lowes this afternoon and decided to pick up a MAPP torch. Looks like this will be my preferred method! Easy, quick and painless, just have to see how long a cylinder of gas lasts, but I'm thinking that will not be an issue judging on how fast it started.
·

Comments

• transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    John, I switched to a propane weed burner a few months back......15-20 seconds and that's all it takes for a good even lite. I love the gas....I'm sure you will enjoy it as well.
    ·
  • Austex_EggerAustex_Egger Posts: 153
    I have been thinking about that as well. Especially since I have a couple tanks of propane from my now dormant gasser. :) Next time I'm at Harbor Freight I might pick one of those up (if the are on sale). :)
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,383
    I've never bothered to figure out how much MAPP costs me, or how long a tank lasts, but I would be amazed if it's cheaper than... most anything. Starter cubes are quite inexpensive (Rutland brand at the hardware store), paper towels and cooking oil, even less. Then there's 90% isopropyl alcohol. I've never tried a weedburner.

I would say MAPP is quite probably the most expensive of all the options. And yet, I keep using it. Very convenient and no mess. 'Bout out of MAPP gas now though. Might give paper towels and oil a shot next.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
    John, the one I bought was the $39 dollar job on sale for $29 at HF.......All you need to do hook it up and go. Just BE CAREFUL AND LIGHT IT WHEN THE GAS IS TURNED ON REALLY LOW. It throws a screamer of a flame.....I light my lump with the propane barely on.....and it's more than sufficint to get me totally lit up in about 15-20 seconds. With care, it's a great way to go.
    ·
    They are all fine, Q. I was buying the various starter cubes and having great success with them. They just don't get you going quite as quickly, which is a necessity for me on week nites if I plan to grill. I already had a bunch of propane tanks......in this neck of the woods, I keep a bunch of filled propane tanks as a means of cooking in the event of a hurricane. Cooked on a propane stove on the patio for nearly a year after hurricane Katrina.
    ·
  • tacodawgtacodawg Posts: 335
    I use the bye wax staters. Might not be the fastest but it is ready in about 15-20 minutes. I remember reading about the alcohol way of starting and it sounds interesting, might try that someday.
    ·
  • ron4fishron4fish Posts: 144
    I use the BGE starters and cut them in half. Plenty to light and goes twice as far.
    ·
  • Dan in StLDan in StL Posts: 246
    My pre-Egg grill was a Weber charcoal grill that had a small propane tank that was used just for starting the charcoal. I use it now to light a chimney filled with a full handfuls of lump. Works like a charm. The chimney is going in just a couple of minutes and the propane tank lasts forever before I have fill it again.
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,319
    I don't like the smell of the wax charcoal starters.

I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center. Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match. The warmer the day, the more it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash. In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    John, I am a MAPP torch convert. I tried some other methods, and they all work but I prefer the MAPP. My first tank [a fat boy] lasted 10 months and I average cooking 4 time a week, sometimes lighting two eggs.
    MAPP tends to spark a lot, especially w/ new lump, so wear your gloves. Richard in FL came up with a neat trick. He bought a cheap metal funnel and put it over the nozzle as a spark shield. I copied his idea a while back and it works great :) :)
    ·
  • JohnBJohnB Posts: 174
    I use a chimney starter and newspaper because I'm a cheapskate. If I'm feeling particularly frugal, and am not in a hurry I'll just stick some newspaper under the ceramic grate and light it.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,623
    I am a big believer in the alcohol method. I buy 91% at WM, fill up a 60cc catheter syringe (also WM), shoot in the lump in three different places and light.
    Very quick,clean, no odor.

:)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·
  • Amy S.Amy S. Posts: 70
    I use the cubes that came from BGE. I read where you can peel them apart and just use a little piece. That is what I do. One cube will light at least 4 fires. I can't get much cheaper than that.

I just put my pieces in the lump, light them, and add tiny pieces of apple or similar smoking chips and off it goes.
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    These discussions come up often. I'm waiting for the day someone says they light with a magnifying glass facing the sun!! :laugh: :P :silly: :woohoo: :) :)
    ·