Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question

Options
Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The book that come with the BGE said to put the Pizza Stone directly on the Plate Setter preheat and off to the races. Reading on here I am seeing that a lot of folks want space (using feet or foil to make said space)between the the stone and setter. :huh: I am thinking the temp needs to 600. What do you folks suggest. This is my third cook so any feedback will be greatly appreacated. Thanks

Comments

• BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    Options
    I cook pizza with feet down on the platesetter, pizza stone sits directly on the plate setter. I usually go 375 to 400 dome temp and pull when it looks done, usually 30-40 minutes I think...we like ours well cooked but you can tell when you look at a pizza if it is ready.

Regards,

Bill
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Never seen the cookbook, but this doesn't sound right. I would think the stone would get way too hot without an air gap between that and the setter. Bobby Q (who I thought had input to the cookbook) always recommends platesetter legs up, the cooking grid, then the stone. Platesetter legs down, then green feet (or foil balls), then stone is also successful. 550* works for us.
  • Longrifle
    Options
    BillPinNC wrote:
    I cook pizza with feet down on the platesetter, pizza stone sits directly on the plate setter. I usually go 375 to 400 dome temp and pull when it looks done, usually 30-40 minutes I think...we like ours well cooked but you can tell when you look at a pizza if it is ready.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,
    Thank you for the info. If the thunderstoms pass I will be giveing the pizza a try this afternoon.
    Mac
  • Longrifle
    Options
    Little Chef wrote:
    Never seen the cookbook, but this doesn't sound right. I would think the stone would get way too hot without an air gap between that and the setter. Bobby Q (who I thought had input to the cookbook) always recommends platesetter legs up, the cooking grid, then the stone. Platesetter legs down, then green feet (or foil balls), then stone is also successful. 550* works for us.

Thanks
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Didn't include...They take 8 or 9 minutes (thin crust) using these set ups.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    LC is right, you need an air gap between the platesetter and the stone. You can do w/ legs up, then grid, then stone. I like the legs down, I use three large nuts [stainless, 5/8 or 3/4"] a lot of folks use copper plumbing fittings, 1/2"els or similar, the green feet work great, or just balls of foil. That airspace prevents the stone from getting to hot.
    I cook my pies at 550, they take 10-12 min. :):)
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Some people use the green feet,some use copper plumbing elbows.You can also use 1" thick fire bricks for spacers.

P1010089.jpg
    with pizza stone
    P1010090.jpg
    works great with bread too
    P1010093.jpg
    pizza
    P1010054.jpg
  • I just got my egg a couple of weeks ago and have done pizza 3 times already. I think it is much better than most pizza joints. I put the plate setter with feet down and then the grill grate on top of that. It allows enough space between that and the pizza stone. Get your stone good and hot before putting pizza on. Use corn meal as a way to slide the pizza off your tray and onto the stone (use corn meal on both the tray and the stone).

I cook mine at 500 to 525 and it takes about 15 to 18 min. Use a flashlight to sneak a peak inside the daisy wheel and you can tell when it is done by the cheese browning and the edges of the dough puff up.

Enjoy! B)
    2 Large Eggs and no chickens. How's that work? :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Jon, Are you still in a fire ban? Will miss you next week.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I haven't tried pizza from scratch, but at the risk of getting the red-a$$, my chief critic and I just love Papa Murphy's take-n-bake.
    Place setter legs down, four 5/8 stainless nuts, then pizza stone, stabilized at 420. 13 minutes later, pizza! Wonderful!

:cheer: :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    My first pizza cook I put the stone directly on the placesetter. Third pizza the bottom and getting to burnt stage before pizza was done. My last pizza cook a couple of weeks ago, I had a grid space between the PS and and the stone and did not have that issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Longrifle
    Options
    Used the green feet to create the air space and tossed that bad boy on the stone. Pizza came out great, had a more smokey taste than I thought it would but it was not overpowering. Not a bad first weekend with the egg, hambugers, twice baked potatoes, chicken breasts, ribeys and pizza. My test will be next weekend when I try my first long and slow smoke of the pork butt. :evil:
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I listened to all the regulars on this forum. I soaked the tone up with 1" nuts, not galvanized and it came out perfect. Why tempt fate. Do what the pros say.