Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket is done wayyyy too early

kricks
kricks Posts: 244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put an 8.8 pound brisket on this morning around 5:00a. It spent the first couple of hours at 210 and up till now, 11:30, around 230. Silly thing shows 208 internal. I've wrapped it in foil and towels.

I wanted it for 6:00 tonight. Thoughts on keeping it warm or best way to hold? Seems like an awkward amount of time to keep it warm. I thought I'd just shut the egg down and let them cool down together.

I was thinking at least an hour per pound...

Comments

• doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    maybe your thermo needs to be calibrated, or is off center?
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    I had the same situation yesterday with a 6.5 flat. I hit 190 at less than 4 hours. I was running a 220 to 230 dome. Started doubting my thermometer. Pulled the probe out of the meat tested it and it was spot on. Did the fork test in the meat and it confirmed what my thermometer showed. Later still at a loss for answers I checked the calibration on my dome thermometer it also checked out good

To save the day I wrapped the meat in double foil with some brisket sauce poured over it and held it in a my oven which was off. It was in the oven for six hours when I pulled it out and put it back in the egg still wrapped at 220. I had beans that I was planning to cook at 220 in a dutch oven for a couple of hours. The meat went back on with the beans basically to bring it back up to temp.

I was unsure of the meat at this point however it turned out great. Sliced really well and you could actually cut the slices on your plate with a fork.The taste was great as well The wife gave it high marks and that's all that matters in the end LOL

The flat that I had only had a very thin fat cap and I think that led to the faster than normal cook time. It was not my first brisket but first on the egg. Next time I think I will opt for a packer
  • kricks
    Just to say I did it, I am going to check my thermometer, although in 3 years I've never had an opportunity to question it.

Right now it is wrapped in 3 layers of foil sitting on the egg which is now down to 200 and dropping.

FWIW... I almost couldn't get it off the egg to the tray... it is one tender little brisket. I have a general thought that a bigger one (10 - 12 pounds) would follow the 1 to one and half hour rule better.

I don't do briskets normally as they just are too big but dammit I wanted a brisket!

Has anyone made a sauce with the brisket drippings?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Wow-my BGE brisket experiences (all flats from 5-8lbs) run around 2.1-2.2 hours/lb and very consistent. This with calibrated 250*F dome temperature cook.
    Good luck with the hold as I suspect it will be just fine.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kricks
    Doubt if anyone will see this but... found my thermometer was 150 (approx) degrees off.  I was probably cooking at close to 400 the whole time.