Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Grew A Set

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It's been a little over a year now since owning my first egg and finally tossed on a steak tonight for the first time. You would think a steak would be in the first few cooks when starting out. Just kind of side tracked with all the different options we have for the egg I guess. Anyways, when I lived at home Dad always cooked flank steak and sauted mushrooms as a big dinner a few times a month. Always enjoyed steak when he cooked it. Even on a gas grill steak can hit the spot. So I tossed on a big ole flank steak tonight on the egg and sauted some mushrooms. Fired the egg up to 500 and did 3-4 minutes a side. A little too long I'm thinking. Was more like a medium when getting done with it. But damn, it was good! Just some basic salt, pepper, and a little Dizzy Dust. But here is the kicker, when cleaning up I forgot all about the A-1 sauce sitting next to my plate. Never have had a homemade steak without A-1 or some other type of Heinz 57 sauce. Didn't even cross my mind tonight. I can really see how that can ruin a good tasting steak now! So I like to think I'm a little more of a man's man tonight when eating that big ole juicy steak with no other silly side condiments. The egg can do some crazy stuff to food you have been eating for years! Now just don't ask me to drop ketchup!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    Better late than never!!
    I did a 33oz Ribeye last night and the only thing I dipped it in was the juice on the platter. Basic seasonings and a little D.P. Cowlick was all it took. Hot tub at 125* for about forty minutes and sear for two min. Flip and sear for two min. I flip again for only one minute per side to get those diamond grill marks. Then it's off the direct heat( raised grid or off to the side )close the vents and let it dwell up to med-rare. I could never have pulled off cooking a steak this thick on my old gasser.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Rauchbier
    Rauchbier Posts: 24
    Options
    I, too, love the way flank steak comes off the BGE! I've found that ~5 minutes per side at 500* yields great medium rare results. At about 4 minutes on the 2nd side I probe with the Thermapen and pull the meat when the internal temp is 133*.

Jim

Purcellville, VA
  • woody's wood pit
    Options
    you have got to try some other steaks... there is a whole world waiting for you out there....

try rib eyes, 2" thick you will love it....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• WeberWho
    Options
    Kind of a last minute cook. Should have waited and did a hot tub method like you mentioned. Thanks for the instructions for the cook and how to get the diamonds. Will give it a try.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks Jim. I'm thinking I should have pulled a minute earlier. Still one of the dumb ones who hasn't purchased a thermopen yet. I can see how handy they could be with quick cooks.

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I'm really behind in the world of steaks. I need to go out and find a real cut. Ribeye would be awsome. Good call

Minnesota
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Nice steak story. Yeah, A-1 sauce was in my frig but not for the last 13 years and since I got the egg steaks have been condiment sauce free. Don't want to ruin a good steak. :)

Drop the ketchup. Bring on the mustard.
    ~ Boetje's Dutch Stone Ground Mustard ~
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    I have been using those leave in types of thermometers. They read in level of doneness and aprox. temp. This lets me just barely crack open the dome to peek at it while in the dwell.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks Clay Q. Never really understood why people didn't like using a little steak sauce on the side. I know exactly what they mean when they say a good steak needs to be left alone. As for the ketchup, It's a must. Still need it. I'm also a fan of mustard. Any mustard with a little heat is a big plus for me. Just can't do mustard without a little ketchup.

Minnesota
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Just joking about ketchup. :lol:
    A good pepper and salt seasoning with herbs such as DP Cowlick and Raising the Steaks is excellent with steak. Often I don't need anything more...I look forward to the great rich taste of beef. Sometimes beef is almost flavorless, not sure why that is, but I sure do not want to mask over a good steak. Speaking of steak, I just bought a tri-tip. The plan is to grind for an American Dream Steakburger Deluxe. Will report results.

Mustardmuseum.com http://mustardmuseum.com/
    This is a great place in Wisconsin, fun to try out free samples of all kinds. I end up going home with new mustards to enjoy, like wine or beer is savored.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    To take your cooking - steaks, chicken, pork, whatever - to the next level, you MUST get thermometers. The best cooks judge the doneness by temperature and not time.

Suggestions:

1) Thermapen instant-read. There are cheaper ones out there, but you will not regret the extra $ on this one.

2) A continuous-read thermometer. Lots available, but the Mavericks seem to be the most preferred. Don't waste your money on one that says "Medium/Med. Rare/Rare/etc". Get a real thermometer with numbers on it. The wireless variety is much more convenient. I have the Maverick 732 (as do many on here). Available at Amazon. It has hi temp probes and extended-range wireless.

Nothing beats a cold night with a ribeye on the Egg - sitting inside in the warmth watching the wireless temp creep up to your desired temp. Run out, pull the steak off, cover it with foil for a rest while you get the sides plated - AWESOME ! :woohoo:
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Looks like a cool festival. Looks like they have a wide range on mustards. Won't dare ask for ketchup. Good luck on the steak burger. Sounds really good

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks Misippi Egger. They are both on my want's list. Would love to use the Mavrick during the winter months. Really need a Thermapen. I should really get on their open box deal. Thanks for the info!

Minnesota