Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love'n the BGE

Options
Longrifle
Longrifle Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man, I am an idiot been cooking on gas for years and could have been using the Egg!! This is my second cook and and it was fracking great. The chicken breasts were the best I have ever made. The only thing I did to them was toss a little BBQ rub on them and direct grill at 450 until the pen said they were done. I TREX'ed the ribeye and it was great as well. This cook made me a beliver the Thermapen! I took the advice of those on the forum and went by temp., my instinct was to leave it the grill a bit longer, my Wife, (being the smart one in this relationship) suggested I take the temp, of the steak. Good call. Left to my own devices I would have overcooked it. All I had on the steaks was fresh ground black pepper and kosher salt.

DSCF0314.jpg

DSCF0311.jpg

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Nice cook! Just wait till you get to pizza's and a low and slow cook. Next to the egg, the Thermopen is the best invention. :laugh:
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Nice looking cook! The Egg is the ULTIMATE COOKING MACHINE! I'm waiting for my first screw-up, but is seems the Eggs compensates for our stupidity :) Got my first ribs (3-1-1 Method) going right now. So far so good.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Very nice, thanks for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    Fluffyb wrote:
    Nice cook! Just wait till you get to pizza's and a low and slow cook. Next to the egg, the Thermopen is the best invention. :laugh:
    Just did my second pizza in almost 2 years. WHY did I wait so long? Did 2 & they were awesome.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    I hear you... I really regret not getting an egg years ago. Then again, I only found out about them last spring. I bought one the same day I first tasted food cooked on one. My wife was with me, and we were at a demo, and she was practically begging me to buy it. It's an incredible cooker!

And your cook looks awesome :D Love ribeyes. Did you also egg the potato too?
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    The potato was smoked with Hickory and the vote was for twice baked. So I tossed in some chives, bacon, butter, salt, pepper, colby cheese and evaperated milk and tossed the spuds back on the BGE. They were great.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I bought an offset cooker amostb5 years ago, smoked on it quite a bit but it was not near as efficient or versatile. I looked at an egg then but bought the offset. Big mistake. The egg is so much more and the food is so moist and more flavor. Like most people on the forum, should have done it sooner but better late than never. Welcome and I am sure you will continue to enjoy the food and egging.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    The cook looks great...I know what your saying. I was a gas burner also and thought I was doing pretty good cooks. Nothing like what I have been doing on the BGE. I have been following the advice and recipes to the letter from here and knock on wood, I have not had a bad cook yet. But I have had some incredibly great, tender, juicy, favorful meals from my Egg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!