Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

partial cooked pork/beef help

Options
shortfire
shortfire Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
the family and I are heading to the beach this weekend and we are cooking either a brisket or pork butt. right now the plan is to cook it wed night and chill it till Saturday and reheat, however i have head of partially smoking it the day before refrigerating it and finishing it up the next day.

What are the perks of that vs completing the cook aside from the smokiness?
Will the second cook be any shorter or will it still be an allday thing?
what internal temp do you take it up to on the first one?
what temp do you cook it at on the second one?
and any other info yall have would be great thanks as always

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I say cook it until done on Wednesday and pull it. You can vac seal it and reheat when you get to the beach. No need to waste family time worrying about finishing up the cook 2 days later.

You can put the vac seal bag in boiling water to reheat or microwave it for ease.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend partially cooking any barbecue meats.

I do a lot of briskets and butts a day ahead for parties, wedding receptions etc., and following the long cook, I triple wrap in foil and allow the internal temperature to drop into the 160°'s on their own. In the meantime I prepare a large cooler with a 7# bag of ice and water.

The foiled meats go into a huge zipper bag or a vacuum bag (with only a slight vacuum), then plunged into the iced water. In 40 minutes or so the meat is below 40° and can be moved to the fridge for holding.

For food safety reasons, your goal is to move the meat back through the danger zone (140° - 40°) as fast as possible and this method works great.

For reheating, a 250° oven works fine, I check the pouch for liquid after 1 hour and add some if necessary.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery