Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbecue Chicken

Options
SomedayMommy
SomedayMommy Posts: 199
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a looking to make bbq chicken tomorrow. I'd like that traditional sloppy sauced yummy goodness. Breasts thighs and drumsticks.

I need directions from the beginning. Raised direct? In a pan?

And I want to use my sweet baby rays. Which dizzy pig rub will go best with it? I appreciate ANY help or leads...

Comments

• meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 83
    Options
    Whole chicken cut the back bone out, push it flat, inject with apple juice and brown sugar, coat with chosen rub, slow smoke on indirect for about 4 hours at around 225 back down breast up. When it's about done smother the bird with bbq sauce and your in business
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    I have been on a chicken binge all summer, and what I've settled on is quarters and wings raised grid indirect, high in the dome @425ish, turn a couple times, sauce just befor they are done and give them about 10 mins back on the egg.
    015-9.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Traditional Stacie??? Many concepts there. Fire egger has a great cook for pieces.

Are you looking for a 'sloppy joe' type chicken? This is pork but something like this.
    barbacoa2.jpg

If so...

Cook the chicken direct or indirect. Direct 400° dome raised grid. When the bird hits 165° pull, remove skin and shred. Put in a bowl and mix in your favorite sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's, Hunts Hony BBQ or something like that. Mix well and to the wetness you want than back on the egg at +/- 275° for 10 or so minutes with some fresh smoke wood. That will make some great sandwiches.

Kent
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    SomedayMommy: Raised direct sounds like a good plan. I use dome temp of 400*. Start saucing when it appears you are about 10 minutes from the finish so you can get some carmelization on the sauce.
    You could also roast indirect, then remove platesetter and finish direct. That is assuming you want some carmelization on the sauce. If you don't want carmelization, sauce indirect. (Don't forget a drip pan)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    that looks so good, Kent!, thats on my short list!!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    I agree with Fire Egger (Kendall), I am loving chicken leg quarters. I let mine sit in the fridge with DP Tsunami Spin or Red Eye for a couple of hours. Then on to the egg direct around 375-400. Sauce the last 10 minutes, so good.

IMAG0618.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07600a.jpg

I either like raised direct, or indirect using a heat shield like a plate setter. My favorite pit temps for a combination cook like you are doing are 275° - 300°.

I always brine chicken breasts for at least 2 hours, then rest in the fridge for 1 hour. If I want to jazz up my thighs and drumsticks, I'll marinate them in Italian salad dressing for several hours. All pieces get a sprinkle of rub, and I usually sprinkle some underneath the skin, and hold the skin in place with toothpicks.

DSC07552A.jpg

The breasts can be removed from the cooker at 160°, and they will rise into the safe zone. I prefer the thighs and drumsticks cooked into the high 170°'s to mid 180°'s.

IMG_0292b.jpg

When saucing, I will remove a little lower than the temps listed above and finish using a thinned down sauce, in a pan (covered) for about 10 minutes. Cooking skin down in the sauce will help tenderize it and help you with the bite through skin.

DSC04412b.jpg

DSC04403a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery