Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Shut down/cool down techniques?

Dan in StLDan in StL Posts: 246
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm interested to hear from other Eggers any effective and safe techniques to get the Egg cool enough to be able to put the grill cover on.

My Egg sits in a table I built and I like to cover it up when I'm done. But since the Egg is so good at retaining heat that can take a long time. I've tried some interesting (possibly crazy) thing. For example putting 3 or 4 bricks in the freezer and then putting them in the Egg as a "heat sink." That seems to do a good job of dropping the internal temp, but the surface of the Egg is still hot - possibly hot enough to melt or damage the cover. I also use a dish cloth the wipe the surface of the Egg down with cool water. Although I'm worried that too much cool water on a hot Egg could result in cracking.

So, any ideas? Or does anybody know how heat resistant the BGE covers are?

Comments