Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Pulled Beef

Farffle
Farffle Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a 3.5 lb chuck roast that I was hoping to do pulled beef sandwiches with. How would I go about cooking this?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Go to Playing with smoke and Fire site. It has a great explination on how to do pulled beef. Good luck to all.
  • Bobby R
    Bobby R Posts: 17
    If you have the time, and a dutch oven, I would recommend checking out Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ under the recipe (beef) section of the forum. It's really fantastic.

You could also just do a search on "pulled beef" and get more detailed info/options, pics, etc.

I hope that helps and good luck! B)

Bobby R.
    Milwaukee, WI
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Look in the recipe section for "Clay's Pulled Beef BBQ"

Also the Search engine will pull up threads like this one:

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1124436&catid=1
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    There's no trick to making pulled beef. Cook it exactly like you would pulled pork. Cook it at 250 dome or so until the meat reaches 200-205, let it rest from 30 minutes to up to 4 hours and then pull it.
    That's it!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    hahaha. did that a week or so ago with a chuck roast. I had to pull it with a CLEAVER! not even CLOSE to pullable.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Carolina Q wrote:
    hahaha. did that a week or so ago with a chuck roast. I had to pull it with a CLEAVER! not even CLOSE to pullable.

Are you sure it was a Chuck Roast? I can't tell you how many I've done them and they pull easily every time. I've also tried it with an Arm Roast and Bottom Roast and they don't pull worth a damn no matter what temp you take them to! :evil:
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    well, it looked like a chuck roast and the label said it was a chuck roast. cooked for about 5 hrs, as I recall. at 250° dome. foiled at 170° (though I never do that with a butt) and took it off the egg at 205-210°. let it rest, still in the foil, for an hour or so. pulling was not an option. had to either slice it or chop with the cleaver.

Wasn't even very tasty. One of my more disappointing cooks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Farffle
    Farffle Posts: 7
    Thanks for the help everyone. I didn't necessarily have all of the supplies, so I improvised. Salt and peppered the thing, threw it on the egg at 250 with a roasting rack over a drip pan full of water. Smoked it with Hickory chips. Did this for 6 hours, temp. of roast never got above 140 (time for a new thermometer?). Got impatient and took it off. I then threw it in the drip pan with some of the water/drippings and some maple syrup, cover with foil, and cooked another two hours. I wouldn't do the syrup again because it ruins the pan. The roast was falling apart so I took it off and wrapped it in foil. Pulled after 30 minutes and it was AWESOME!