Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket versus no gasket

RGBHV
RGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just thought I'd share this with you as I was surprised by the results.

I have an LBGE with no gasket. I recently purchase a 2nd LBGE. They are now in a table side by side.

I built the fire the same, I lit the lump the same, I cooked the same thing on both (Ribs BTW and they were great) and then shut them down the same way.

1) they reached temp about the same time
2) they maintained temp the same way (+ or - minor)
3) for the most part, the shut down was the same. The new egg with the gasket
dropped about 25 degrees faster during the shutdown process. (I figured that
the difference would have been significantly higher)

I'm not saying this is typical as not all eggs are built exactly the same, but this was my experience and I thought I'd share with you.

Michael

Comments

• c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Interesting...I cooked 3 butts last night, and thought I burned too much lump because of my lack of gasket- my neighbor says my vent is closed more than his at same temp because my gasket lets more air in than his large....the world may never know! :huh: :huh: ;)
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    gaskets are so over-rated B)
    Kent Madison MS
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Good info Michael. I am a gasket free Egger.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    My XL is starting on it's third year, is used frequently year around, and has it's original gasket. It's now very thin and sometimes does leak some smoke around the hinge area. I have no problem holding 250 on over nighters, everything seems fine. I haven't noticed the cool down time changing, but suspect it may take a little longer now. Right now I don't plan on changing it. Just my two cents.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Interesting observation, thanks for sharing.