Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex on a spider

Options
loxic
loxic Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got my cast iron grate for my spider and am looking forward to trying steaks. I have had very good results using the trex method. Being that I can sear right on top of the coals now and then move higher in the dome to finish at a lower temp is the wait time between sear and finishing still needed? I wasn't sure if the wait time had any other use besides allowing the egg to drop in temperature. As always thanks in advance for your responses. Can't wait to try the spider. Oh yeah adjustable rig is awesome too.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    The rest period IS necessary. being able to cook it on one egg is nice. I get my dome temp to 450* drop the steaks on the grate in the spider, rest it, and put it back on the top of the AR to finish. Have fun.
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    Options
    Now, the second most important step—letting the meat rest. I learned this important tidbit from a friend of mine, David Welch, who has been a chef at several well-known steak houses, including Pappas Bros. in Houston. Meat is mostly muscle that will contract and tighten during the searing process (think of when you get a “knot” in your shoulder muscle). For a tender, juicy steak, you must let the muscle in the meat relax before you cook your steak at a lower temperature (think of a massage working the knot out of your shoulder). After much experimentation, I have found that the optimum resting time for a steak is 20 minutes. Any longer than this and the juices start to run out of the meat. So leave the steak on a plate in your kitchen and walk away (if you have a dog, you may not want to walk away).

That is the quote frothe TRex recipe on Nakedwhiz