Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stepping up my Pulled Pork

Royal CoachmenRoyal Coachmen Posts: 202
edited 8:12PM in EggHead Forum
Ok so thanks to the help of this forum I was finally able to cook a few pork butts that fell right off the bone. My dad loves 'em and has me cooking pulled pork for him every week.

So wanting to fine tune my cooks, I want to find suggestions for keeping the pork moist when its reheated. When I cook it and eat it right after I let it rest in a cooler for an hour it is perfect. Moist and tasty. However, upon reheating, it is much drier until smothered in sauce.

Is there a way to ensure this doesn't happen or reduces the likelihood of it happening? There's a guy down the street who owns a bbq joint and I think he keeps his in water. Would reheating the pulled pork in water (in the microwave) work?

Thanks all.
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,572
    You can place the PP in a tight plastic bag, or better yet vacuum pack, chill, then freeze. Reheat the bags in a slow cooker, or dump and mix with some coke or root beer. Or bag with a little BBQ sauce. Do re-heat enough to re-melt the gelatin.
    ·
  • i cook mine a few different ways, but whatever i use as a base for the sauce/rub/etc. like lime juice, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, etc. I just add a small amount when I reheat it and it seems to work for me.
    ·
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Yes, re-heating a bag in boiling water (preferably foodsaver sealed) works like a charm. I usually freeze my pork in 1 pound increments in foodsaver bags. My wife then pulls from the freezer and heats in boiling water. Most of the time I cook two extra butts just for this purpose.
    ·
  • A friend, who owns a bbq catering business, told me to marinade my butt in Zesty Italian dressing overnight then smoke it as usual. I will be trying that one.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • I vaccum pack in approximately 1 lb bags with an ounce or two of apple juice. Gets a little messy vacuum packing because the vacuum tends to pull out the juice. If not planning on keeping too long, ziplocks will work fine.

I drop the bag in simmering water straight from the freezer.
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,686
    Well, I now have some left-over PP that I need to take care of, so now I'll follow this advice.
    Thanks to all, as usual.
    :cheer:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·