Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to best grill a Steak?

go BiG orangE
go BiG orangE Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Proud new egg owner and just now using a BGE for the first time ever.

I've been using a Weber kettle for years, so looking fwd to the searing high temp possibilities of the egg.

How would you all recommend grilling a nice ribeye? What temp and for how long?

Comments

• Cast iron grate works very well for this, buy one if you haven't already. I like hot & fast, a couple minutes per side, flip twice, shut the vents and finish to your desired internal temp.
  • golfguy
    golfguy Posts: 105
    I will preface this by saying I am NO expert. I have just had some success by using methods posted on this forum...

It depends on how well you want the steak. The one thing I have learned from the forum is cook to internal temperature and not time.

That being said, you will be upards of 600-700 deg for a couple minutes on each side and then cut the fire off until optimal internal temp is acheived.

This chart was posted in a previous thread:

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    There's sear and dwell (T-rex), and the reverse, dwell and sear.

For the T-rex, get the Egg to max temperature. Bottom vent wide open, nothing on the top. Grill on the fire ring. When at maximum dome, carefully crack the dome several times to avoid flashback. Then open, toss on the steak, and close. Give it 30 seconds per half inch of thickness. Open, flip, repeat. Remove, plate and tent with foil. Shut bottom vent to 3/4, place daisy on top with petals open. Wait about 20 minutes for the temp to drop to 400. Return steak, and cook to your desire internal.

The problem with this is that sometimes it takes a long time for the temperature to come down.

So for a reverse, cook the steak to just rare, 120. Plate and tent. Open vents wide. Usually comes up pretty fast. Then sear as above. Tent, wait 10 minutes for the juices to coagulate, and eat.

My fave method is a variant of the dwell and sear. Seal steak(s) tightly in plastic bags, with whatever flavorings you might like. Immerse in a pot of hot tap water (110 - 120F) Depending on the thickness, may take an hour to come to temperature.

Have the Egg roaring. Remove steaks, which are now almost rare, and sear. During the rest, the heat will seep inwards, giving you just a seared crust with a completely rare steak.

Wear gloves, and work fast. The Egg will be a blast furnace.
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    I'm not sure if it's necessary but for even higher temperatures you can remove the fire ring and put your grill grate right on the fire box. Make sure you have some long oven mitts or heat resistant gloves so you can turn and retrieve the steaks. (It's HOT in there.)

If your steaks are around an inch thick then 2 minutes of searing per side and you will probably be done. (I wrap my steaks in foil to continue the cooking process.) If they are thicker you may need to let them rest for a bit while the temp in your Egg comes down, then you can finish them. (Look up the TRex method.)
  • Removing the fire ring is completely unnecessary.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    By removing the fire ring your basicly accomplishing the same thing as filling up midway the firering with lump. Fire closer to grate both ways you slice it. My vote is cast iron, fast and hot as well. Best steaks ever and better yet, best steaks money can't buy out on the town! Enjoy!
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    I put a coating of veg oil on them, (olive oil can burn at high temps) then liberally put "Montreal Steak" seasoning on them. I try to get the steaks up to room temp before putting them on. Then get the egg to 450-500. I start checking their temp after 2-3min/side and pull ~130.

Of course the size and other variables can change things.
  • mxdad
    mxdad Posts: 47
    I have been cooking on the egg for a little over a month so I am not the eggspert by any means. But I have cooked more than my share of steaks ov the years on many different grills nothing is as good as the TRex method on the egg.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

My first attempt at steaks on the egg I followed this technique, have done it several times since. I doubt I will every even waste my time doing it dirfferent from now on they are that perfect

01e7a445.jpg
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Very good answers you got.I like the hot and fast method.600 direct about 3 min on each side,thenabout 2 min on each side for med rare.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    High temp grilling of a steak a few minutes per side is good when in a hurry.

But for GREAT steaks cooked evenly all the way through, I prefer to reverse sear the steak or hot tub it.

Both methods get the internal temps of the steak up higher before hitting it with a high temp sear to only cook the outside.

For reverse sear, cook your steak indirect at 250f until it hits an internal temperature about 5 degrees from your target temp. Then go indirect at 500f and sear that state for 1 minute per side. You'll get something evenly cooked like this:

DSC_0146resized-1.jpg

For hot tub, put the steak in a zip top bag and submerge it in hot water (105f) for an hour. Then grill over 500f fire direct until it hits your target temperature.

Both work great.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    I like bone-in Ribeyes the best. But Winn-Dixie has Porterhouse for $6.99 a pound right now. Just had the meat cutter do me up 12 1.5" thick ones.

TRex is really good or dome to 600, CI grate. 2 mins each side searing. Shut down the vents and then each side to the internal temp you want your steaks. It's all about temp, not time. Either way produces a really good better then most restaurant steaks.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • reader40
    reader40 Posts: 69
    I love a ribeye and would definitely check out the Trex method for steaks...i follow that for ribeye and t-bone.

They have come out great and the folks i have made them for say those are the best they have had.

Good luck!