Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled chicken wings (time? temp?)

CrazyHarry
CrazyHarry Posts: 112
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used to grill chicken wings on my old Weber over medium heat. I would leave the lid open and constantly turn, move and flip them until they looked golden brown with a nice char.

Like this pic from Serious Eats:

20080910-dragons-wings.jpg

How do I get my wings to look like that on the Egg? I suppose I could cook them with the dome open, but that just doesn't "feel" right. :S

Suggestions?

Comments

• MakoBBQ
    MakoBBQ Posts: 230
    I do 350 degrees indirect for an hour and a half. I turn once at halfway at 45 minutes. Perfect everytime.

Hotwings002.jpg

Hotwings007.jpg
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I did some wings last weekend.

pre-steamed for 10 minutes to render out some of the fat (Alton Brown's method)

egged indirect @ 400F for 15-17 per side, flipping once. After about 30-35 minutes total, removed from the egg, sauced, then returned direct for about a couple of minutes.

couple of pics:

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

They were very good :D
  • CrazyHarry
    Those look great! How did you steam them? (I assume that removing some of the fat just keeps them from flaring up when cooked direct?)
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Cooking them indirect for the 1st 30-45 minutes renders the fat also. Use HDAF to catch the grease so it doesn't get all over your platesetter. Then sauce the wings and cook raised direct until done...also search the forum...there are tons of great wing recipes on here.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Boilermaker Ben Posts: 1,956
    I do indirect when I have time, and raised-direct when I don't. 350-400 degrees, either way. Takes about an hour for indirect, about half that for raised-direct.
  • Wilco76
    Wilco76 Posts: 18
    Glad to see this post! I am cooking wings this weekend too!
  • Mudflap
    Mudflap Posts: 69
    Rezen,
    Glad to see someone took Alton Brown's great episode of chicken wings to the egg as well. That's where I started (and practically ended) my research on the subject. Also, I love that you char but them by going direct for just a bit after saucing them.

If I remember right Alton steamed them to render out the fat so his house wouldn't get so smokey from cooking them in the oven at 425°. I figured no need to worry about the smoke that might come off them since I'm outside. So I skip the step. As Rezen and I have experienced that grilling at a higher heat the skin gets crispy...which is what I'm after for sure.

Indirect at 425°, no rub or marinade of any kind (just like the bars do while frying them)
    Chickenwings003.jpg

Flip after 20 minutes
    Chickenwings006.jpg

Depending on the size of the wings they'll be done after 35-40 minutes total cook time.
    Chickenwings009.jpg

I throw them immediately into the sauce and toss, pull the plate setter out and open up the vents.
    Chickenwings015.jpg

Then toss them back on just briefly on each side to char the sauce. I prefer to re-toss in sauce but most people I find like them a little dryer.
    Chickenwings019.jpg

Chickenwings023.jpg

Chickenwings027.jpg
  • Hard to beat wings on a Weber Kettle, I have never had them come out as good on the BGE. Here is a great recipe for the Weber...just in case you want to have a go at it ;)

http://greenleafbbq.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/doughertys-wings-arguably-the-best-chicken-wings-on-the-planet/
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Here are a couple of tips for good crispy wings on the egg :)
    Put your rub on the wings then put them in the refrigerator uncovered for 3-4 hours, the salt in the rub and the cold dry air of the fridge helps rid the skin of moisture.
    Cook as high in the dome as you can. This way you get the convection effect of the eggs heat flowing up towards the top vent, also crisping up the skin. I cook indirect around 375 for about 90 min, never flip. :):)
    As with my ribs, I do not sauce, rather I put several sauces out for my guests to choose what they like. :cheer:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I don't flip either and I sauce on the side facing up on the grid with a brush. I do spin the grind once or twice 180 degrees during the cook.

I figure when doing ATB's I don't flib but I do sauce the top at the end of the cook for a few minutes to set.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Here are mine a while back, raised grid 375-400. I have tried both direct and indirect, raised grid is the key for me. Love wings on the egg!

006-39.jpg
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • BillPinNC
    BillPinNC Posts: 68
    I coat mine with Bone Suckin Poultry Seasoning and Rub. Cook indirect at 400 until the skin is crispy, usually 60-75 minutes. Sometimes I slop on East Carolina Style BBQ sauce at 45 minutes and a few minutes before I take them off the grill.

Regards,

Bill
  • What sauces do you guys use? Any place for some great sauce rececipes or how to?
  • CrazyHarry
    The wings turned out pretty good!

5965766095_99c62f82cc_z.jpg
    Wings by Cybert99, on Flickr

Here's the story:

1. I started indirect. Got the Egg up to about 400 and put the wings on.

2. After I closed the dome the temperature slowly rose to about 300 and then it just *stuck* there. I opened the vents all the way and even took off the DMFT. The thermometer wouldn't go over 300. (I've been using the same lump for awhile and there was a lot of ash.)

3. Cooked the wings for about 17 minutes per side. They were a little brown, but not carmelized on the outside.

4. After about 35 minutes I sauced them up (Bobby Flay recipe), took off the platesetter and cooked them direct over high heat.

5. Turned the wings after a minute or two on each side.

The wings tasted great! Next time I'll cook them a little hotter/faster and drop them back in the sauce when they are done cooking.
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Raised/direct at about 350-375F here, flip at about 15 minutes... sauce them in the last few minutes. I am very happy with the results.