Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt Steaks!

Options
kim
kim Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for a while and when I put my steaks on the grill - I have it around 600- grill for 2-3 minutes -flip-grill 2-3 more minutes and then shut both the top and bottom and cook about 10 more minutes. Sometimes I really smoke the steak when I am searing it - how do I avoid this?

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Kim,[p]10 minutes will pretty much do in a tennis shoe, much less a steak. The way to avoid overcooking it is to not overcook it. Your 2 mins flip and 2 mins is ok. Then your middle probably won't take much more than 5. Remember even though you've shut the vents, you're still pumping some heat for a while. Take a look after about 3 mins and stick in a thermapen. See what kind of temp you're pulling. If you're aiming to med rare, take it out around 145.[p]Or read up on the Trex method which produces a steak that would charm a Hindu.[p]mShark
  • kim
    kim Posts: 63
    Options
    What is the Trex method?
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    3-3-3 works for me!

• Ohio Ed
    Ohio Ed Posts: 33
    Options
    Kim,
    On the top of this web page you can find a menu item called "Recipes" and after clicking on that you find Beef on the left hand side of the page, click on that and then you come to TRex method. You can also go to the Naked Whiz web site and look at his pages on the method.

[ul][li]TRex Steak Method[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kim,
    Just what I have found personally.....but going by time almost never works for me when searing. Sight, feel, and smell are what works best. Listen to the sound of the steak when it hits the grill. Smell the caramelization. It usually pays to look at the meat and use your senses instead of your watch.[p]Best of luck at getting the perfect sear!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Kim,[p]With apologies to William Shakespeare: "It is better to have burnt and lost, then never to have barbecued at all". [p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Kim,
    Here's a link to TRex's writeup on my website. Turn on your speakers if you have them![p]TNW

[ul][li]TRex Steak Method[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Very true words. I completely agree - time is a guideline, otherwise throw your watch out the window. It's almost like there's a "feeling" you get when you know they must be done. Can't really explain it, but you know what I mean.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Kim,[p]The meat will stick to the grate during the sear and will release itself when ready. Give it a minute sear and lightly try to lift the steak. If its still holding tight to the grate, its not ready. As far as the finished product, the Trex method is a great way to go as others have said. [p]Mac
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    you and chris must be partaking of something more than a little hops and barley me thinks . .. heeeee ...sounds like we need to write a sequal to the book that those of us who attended college in the 70s all had to read; "zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" . .[p]
    how about "zen and the art of egging steaks" . . ooooooohhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Kim,
    Also the thickness is important. Trex method works great, but not to a 1/2inch piece of meat.

• Ironbaugh
    Ironbaugh Posts: 93
    Options
    TRex,
    Speaking of burnt steaks, Bought some beautiful filets a couple weeks ago. We were going to eat late. Put them on at about 10 PM, rested 20 minutes ala TRex, put back on the grill-- my wife and I proceeded to fall asleep on the couch. She woke me up at 3 in the AM. Steaks ruined.