Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Getting Scarce?

B&BKnox
B&BKnox Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So last week I stopped at Walmart in Woodstock, GA to restock my supply of RO lump, last time thru they had a pallet, this time nothing. Stopped by my local Walmart in Knoxville (Walbrook) and they also had no stock and manager on duty said he had not seen any in a while.

I did grab some cowboy lump at Ace Hardware, but it sure smokes (a lot) on lighting and really adds a smokey taste to food. Spose I could buy BGE lump but from the high end BGE dealer it would be really expensive.

Any suggestions?
Be Well

Knoxville TN

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    It appears to be spotty or regional at best - I believe it's more the state of the economy - after all if construction stays down there isn't the demand for wood, so there aren't as many trees being harvested. Much of the wood made into lump are the stumps, limbs and scraps from the logging industry.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    I have not noticed any shortage of it in my area, BB. I just picked up several bags last weekend at a nearby grocery where it is a staple. Not aware of any shortage issues......at least in my neck of the woods. But I am curious to hear others respond.
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Good point, Ron.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I could be wrong, but I seem to remember reading on this forum within the past several days that Walmart was going to stop stocking Royal Oak lump.
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    I will be heading north soon and there is a wicked good charcoal distributor about 10 miles from my MN home, think I'll stop by and grap 5 or so 22 lb bags.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Had a bunch or royal oak at our Walmart
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Just picked up 20 more bags from Walmart a week ago. Just about cleaned them out, its a seasonal item up here. I already had 20 bags, this should get me threw most of the winter, I can always get a few bags of Cowboy from Lowes.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I asked the customer service rep at the Lake City Walmart store if they were still carrying the R.O. Lump? Answer was "you know, when we sell a lot of something we usually discontinue it" ???? They only order when they run out??? So it's either there or on order --they really don't stock any??? So this causes the customer to hoard it !!! I try to maintain a ten bag stock and that has worked out for me...............
  • I was in walmart in Seneca sc today, they had half pallet plus of ROak. $6.37 for 10# bag.
  • I was in walmart in Seneca sc today, they had half pallet plus of ROak. $6.37 for 10# bag.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I have been able to get it at Publix in Florida, Kroger in Cincinnati and Wal-Mart both places, so far, so good :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Egghead 123SC, do you live in Seneca? My daughter is customer service manager at the Ingles store there :):)
  • Two Walmarts here in central Massachusetts haven't had Royal Oak for the last month. Restaurant Depot had a couple of pallets when I was there last week.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Royal Oak = BGE = Kroger = some other brands. Kroger ownes their name brand stores as well as 8 to 15 local named stores, Smith's Food King out here.

Kroger will order in a single bag if one wants, just talk to a manager. Delivery for us was 4 days.

Walmart ordering/stocking is up to the local store manager. The 'Walmart isn't carrying lump' talk almost every year.

I have found lump out here in the hispanic grocery stores as well as Sam's club. These have been mesquite lump. Harder to light and sparks when lighting however, the flavor of the food is good. I prefer BGE but the mesquite is acceptable.

You can call Royal Oak directly and ask them who carries their brand and or private label brand in your area. The RO sales rep for our area was extremely helpful helping me find a RO source.

GG
  • RRP
    LOL - I agree about the RO rep being helpful and generous too! :laugh:
    IMG_0852.jpg
  • I don't live in Seneca, but our lake house is over here. We were over for a midweek break so we were at walmart over here. Small world though, we are about 10 min from the ingles store where your daughter works
  • Thsbud
    Thsbud Posts: 3
    I've had a hard time finding Royal Oak in the St. Louis area. Walmart and the local grocery stores have been out for weeks.
  • 43moon
    43moon Posts: 15
    None at walmart in Southwest Austin, TX this last weekend. TONS of Kingsford nonsense... I was in Marble Falls and I bought 4 bags of RO at the mart there.
  • RRP
    hmmm, you're within range of dealers selling the highly prized Ozark Oak. I forget some of the names near you, but I know it's available in Herman, and on down the road at Mexico, MO. If you go to Mexico you can find Blues Hog sauce all around or even scoot up North a tad to the tiny burg of Perry, MO - home of Blues Hog sauce! Just don't sit waiting for a stop light to change in Perry as there aren't any! :laugh: :laugh: Time stands still there!
  • dunnharr
    dunnharr Posts: 45
    You just about have to crawl over it to get in the door of The Fresh Market in Ridgeland, MS.
  • Grandpas Grub

Thought I would stop by one of our walmarts and check the RO out.

1-1/2 pallets marked $5.27/10#. I have never see it below the $6.37 price.

• Grandpas Grub

:laugh: :laugh: some people have all the connections. Were those from some of your classes?

• Grandpas Grub

Walmart out here won't special order for a single person, though I haven't asked about a full pallet load.

The Kroger owned store doesn't stock in off season but will order 1 bag if requested.

You can google Kroger and or Kroger owned stores to see the names and locations.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Not sure if I should tell you this or not since I'm in Knox too :laugh: :P B)

But Food City carries Full Circle which is also made by Royal Oak. Also, Target is carrying "ChefMate" or something like that and it works okay too, but a little expensive.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    The Fresh Market lump, I'm pretty certain, is actually Cowboy brand lump packaged as TFM. Most ( not all) on here do not like Cowboy lump, therefore I do not buy it at TFM, though I agree with you about tripping over it.

Royal Oak is my preferred lump - available at WM as Royal Oak (10# for $6.37). Also the same as the $$$ BGE lump. Kroger lump is also Royal Oak (8.8# for $6 or so).

Madison WM has been out for weeks, but I bought 15 bags of RO at the Ridgeland WM a couple of months ago. Need to restock soon in preparation for the "off season" - that is for all BBQers EXCEPT BGE owners! :woohoo:
  • BillB2002
    BillB2002 Posts: 22
    Out of curiosity, does lump charcoal last essentially forever? I assume it does.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    I keep mine in a dry, cool storage area under-stair. No problems keeping it for months. Moisture is NOT your friend. :ohmy:
  • It sure looks like this is a Regional issue. As far as I know, we haven't had issues in the West. Maybe it is a Regional Purchasing issue at Wal-Mart.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• docbipe
    docbipe Posts: 28
    For several years I have gotten Cowboy at my local Ace hardware. 8 lb and 20lb bags. Last fall, the bottom fell out somewhere and it is almost impossible to get it there now. I think the store owners are not doing a very good job of stocking it. Now I have to go to Home Depot where it is a much further drive, and I can only get the 8 lb bags. Other brands are almost non existent, and the most available of anything is self starting crap. :sick: