Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Top Iron Vent Cap too Loose?

Mass. Wine GuyMass. Wine Guy Posts: 19
edited 8:00PM in EggHead Forum
I'm a recently new Egg owner and have a question abut the top vent unit. When I slide the entire daisy wheel assembly to open or close it, it slides very loosely. No danger of detaching, just loose. Once when I lifted the Egg cover the iron housing fell off behind onto the ground. Is this supposed to be this loose?

Thanks.
·

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    put the pivot screw facing the front of the egg when you put the daisy on, in that position it wont slide open. it will gunk up in time and not be as loose
    ·
  • Woody69Woody69 Posts: 360
    fishlessman wrote:
    put the pivot screw facing the front of the egg when you put the daisy on, in that position it wont slide open. it will gunk up in time and not be as loose

What he said. :)
    ·
  • ShedFarmShedFarm Posts: 499
    The DFMT (Dual Function Metal Top) is very loose on my medium egg, but not my others. A strip of nomex gasket around the top of the chimney tightened things up enough to keep it from running off into the bushes, should I get a bit too enthusiastic about removing the cover.

As far as the daisy wheel sliding off to the side when you lift the dome, the others have pointed you in the right direction, regarding the alignment of the screws.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
    ·
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Read the Naked Whiz tutorial already posted. It will not only show you how to keep the DFMT from falling off, but how to maintain your settings on it when you open the dome :) :)
    ·
  • Get some aluminum foil and make a quick and dirty doughnut gasket around the top of the vent.
    Push the DFMT down and onto the aluminum foil "gasket" :)
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,163
    don't bother with it. i never use mine. control temps with bottom vent only. save the dfmt for lo n slo cooks. next 250° cook I do, i'm going to see if even that can be controlled from below. wouldn't be surprised.

but if u insist on using it, do what they said re alignment.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

"Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain
    ·
  • James MBJames MB Posts: 349
    Mine are loose and it doesn't seem to matter. As others have said check out TNW for pivot alignment. The thing I notice is that The hinge affair on both of my meds seems to result in a slight jerk just before the stop point, serving to flip the cap off if caught unawares. Forewarned is forearmed.
    ·