Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Al Capone (Pork) Roast

Options
Bobby R
Bobby R Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Large BGE for just over 3 years and have come to this forum often for the great tips, advice, recipes and to look at all of the great pics! I haven't really posted much, but wanted to share something I recently cooked that I think is pretty unique.

I went to see my butcher (i.e. new best friend since getting my BGE) and he had just made an Al Capone Pork Roast. I had never heard of it, but was told it was a favorite dish of Al's when he used to visit the Northern part of my State, Wisconsin. Basically a pork loin stuffed/rolled with Italian Sausage, Mozz Cheese and Salami. SOLD!!! :evil:

Cooked this 3.25 pound bad-boy indirect @ 300 with Apple and Cherry wood for good smoking flavor to about 145 internal; about 2 hours. Really fantastic stuff and the salami just put it over the top. The leftovers made excellent sandwiches the next day too.

Unwrapped and begging to be cooked:
Picture025.jpg

Simple Kosher Salt and Pepper seasoning:
Picture026.jpg

Off of the BGE to rest for a bit:
Picture028.jpg

Sliced and ready to be inhaled:
Picture029.jpg

Sorry for the blury pictures towards the end. The budget for upgrading the kitchen lighting has been redirected to BGE related activities. :whistle:

Thanks for looking and have a great day! B)

Bobby R
Milwaukee, WI

Comments

• Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    That looks, and sounds, delicious! Great Cook!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good and bet taste better...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Nice twist on a rolled pork loin, looks delicious :cheer: :cheer:
  • G-squared
    G-squared Posts: 35
    Options
    Man, that looks and sounds great, thanks for sharing
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • Bobby R
    Options
    Thanks everyone! When time is not an issue, I really enjoy going to see the butcher with nothing planned other than keeping an open mind. This was the best surprise find so far.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Looks great. I love sliced pork roasts.

GG
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Man that does look real good. Would love to try one. I will have to ask the butcher here if he's heard of it.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    That really sounds good and looks gobble up yummy. :) :P
    You are right about butcher's becoming a good friend. The butchers at CM get a kick out of me explaining my cooks on the BGE, but they always manage to pick me out good cuts of meat.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Options
    Wow that looks great. I'd like to try one of those.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh yea! I'm damn sure that was delicious!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ky Kernel EggHead
    Options
    Looks delicious. I'm going to try this next weekend.
    Thanks for sharing. :cheer:
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Bobbyr, I just gotta ask.....are you sure that's a pork loin roast? It looks knock-dead gorgeous, but there seems to be a lot more fat marbled through the meat than any loin I've cooked. I know that fat is a great flavor source in pork, and I would like to try this cook; but I'd like to get it right.
    Thanks in advance,
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    That looks great and I bet it tasted even better. Sometimes that is anproblem. Certain cuts of meat are very specific to certain parts of the country. I will check out here on the west coast for one but might have to try to make my own. Looks delicious. Thanks.
  • Bobby R
    Options
    John - I'm 99 percent sure that's what the butcher said. I did notice that marbling, but am by no means an expert at judging a cut of pork. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
  • Bobby R
    Options
    Actually, I just did a google search and here is the best site I found for a recipe - http://robertsspecialtymeatswaukesha.com/page.cfm?websiteid=6909&pageid=698

It does call for adding beef, but the rest sounds spot on. I hope that helps!

Bobby R.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Bobby R, thank for the response and the other site; I'll go talk to a meat cutter I know and see what he thinks. I really want to try this cook.
    Tim, please post anything you learn about this question. I'll always take help from "north bay".
    Thanks, pardner.

:silly:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    That looks so awesome. Had a small pork loin roast pulled out of the freezer for tomorrow. This morning I picked up salami, Italian sausage and Asiago cheese. Going to give it a try. I also googled for a recipe and there are lots of them, all a little different out there. There were a few made with flank steak. Thanks for sharing!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I have never heard of this, but I surly would like to try it. It looks delicious.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Ky Kernel EggHead
    Options
    Looks great. How about sharing how you stuffed the roast and in what order and did you mince or chop anything.( I wonder if you browned the sausage 1st if that may help so it won't get to over done.) I'm going to try this receipe this week and need some more insight.

Still Eggin in Ky,

CroMag :)